Thread: Best Mainspring for 45" Improved model D ?

Best Mainspring for 45" Improved model D ?

Question for the vintage Bsa airgun smiths out there.

Who's the best retailer or brand for a new mainspring for a 45" Improved model D ? Are there any cross overs with modern rifles ?

Being poor, mean and a firm believer in keeping stuff original, I've always been lucky in the past with coming across good second hand springs or reusing originals / old replacements.

But would like this one to shoot somewhere near its potential, so thought I might splash out on a new spring !

Cheers
    Last edited by silva; 26-05-2016 at 09:10 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

edbear2 Guest
    Hi, i wrote this a while ago; http://www.network54.com/Forum/67044...nd+performance But remember that a sporter spring works well in a 30's standard. The Knibbs 2 spring set I had bought in the past for this size gun had the correct (or close) gauge wire and number of coils, but the spacing of the coils was very open and they did not work as well as original, as well as being about 2 inches too long in total

I was lucky in that I had some NOS BSA ones and used those in the 45" guns I re-sprung (both single and twin sets) but the data above is all I can find I am afraid.

So Airsporter I think will work, am not too up on currant Knibbs / Chambers / Protek versions.

A good Sporting will exceed 600 fps with Wasps or H+N ftt, so chrono yours as these are the most powerful BSA design!

ATB, Ed

Hi Silva,

I have used early Meteor (marks 1-5) and Airsporter springs in the past, as they are a close fit. The Airsporter spring may need cutting down to size in some instances.

Kind regard,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Thank you for the great info
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    FWB sport spring will fit some early imp mod d pistons but will need cutting down as its way too long. As said chrono the thing as they can exceed the legal limit.