Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closing One Eye make A Difference

Closing One Eye make A Difference

I realised a little while ago that I leave my left eye very slightly open when shooting rather than tight shut a lot of the time, will this have any impact on you zero ... I'm guessing not as it's the other eye that's looking through the scope to the target.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I have both eyes open when I'm shooting be it rifle or pistol but it makes no difference as I have very little sight in my right eye !
    “An airgun or two”………

I try both options.

Shooting with both eyes open causes less strain and tension, so shooter more relaxed. Much greater field of view, too, so good in the field.

But.....sometimes, at the indoor range, I seem to have more success closing the non-aiming eye. Maybe more focussed (sic!) on the target (33 yards paper)?????

And, no, no impact on zero.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

You should try open , closed, blinded with a card tucked into a hat, shooting eye wide open, half open etc..
    Shoot groups with each and practice with the one that gives best results.
    Shooting isnt just a thing that you go and do.. its a lifetime of learning and experimenting, bith physically and in your head!!
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Funnybucker View Post
    I realised a little while ago that I leave my left eye very slightly open when shooting rather than tight shut a lot of the time, will this have any impact on you zero ... I'm guessing not as it's the other eye that's looking through the scope to the target.
    People normally have a strong eye which does the direct locating. If you point with your finger at a spot on the wall for instance a light switch and cover your weak eye with your hand you will find you are spot on. Keeping your finger pointed now instead cover your strong eye you will find you are pointing about 6 inches off. Your strong eye is the one that looks through the scope and having the other open should make no difference.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I shoot left handed and keep both eyes open.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

I am left handed. With a rifle it's with the stock into my right shoulder - so obviously right eye. I usually keep both eyes open but it makes no difference if I close my left.

I have realised that my left eye actually has better vision than my right so I have started shooting rifles with the stock in my left shoulder and using my left eye. I get better results! I HAVE to keep my right eye closed though as, if I open it my brain "switches to it". I cannot even point at the target unless I close my right eye.

Finally I can aim pistols using either my right or left hand using either eye with both eyes open and the accuracy is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    I shoot left handed and keep both eyes open.
    I also shoot left handed and my scores suggest with both eyes shut.

Steve C.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC

How many Olympic shooters do you see closing one eye?

I remember shooting a friend's rifle and telling him he was a pellet width out to the left of zero at 30yards. He told me to open both eyes and it was spot on!
    I also find that with both eyes open you can focus on the ret more easily, particularly if you "lose the ret" on close and/or dark shots.
    si
    The OAKS
    SIHFT WINNERS 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016

Shooting right handed but being left eye dominant, I always shut my left eye.

I've tried shooting with both eyes open and it makes no difference whatsoever --- I still miss whatever I'm aiming at.

When plinking I close both & hope for the best. I get more hits that way.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Shooting right handed but being left eye dominant, I always shut my left eye. (
    Shooting right handed but being left eye dominant, I don't shut my left eye.

I do when rangefinding. And in 10m I use a blind.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    How many Olympic shooters do you see closing one eye?
    Now that you mention it NONE !!!!!!!!

I've never watched Olympic shooters

Quote Originally Posted by Funnybucker View Post

I've never watched Olympic shooters
    I watched the womens beach volleyball --- would that help ?