Thread: HW80 piston seal

HW80 piston seal

I have just stripped down my project HW80.
    The piston doesn't have a parachute seal like I am used to seeing, it has some sort of solid nylon block thing.

So - my question

Anybody know what this is? How do you change them? Should I change it? Is a parachute seal better? Is there a conversion out there to change from one to the other?

I have searched the internet with no success so far so I hope the vast wealth of knowledge on here can come to my rescue!
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles

It could be a solid ptfe seal. I think TR Robb is the only bloke to sell them these days. I should replace it with a new seal if I were you.

atb

Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Are you sure it is not a parachute seal ? The standard seal is white polyurethane with a very narrow undercut near the edge which expands against the chamber walls on compression. See if you can easily cut it with a knife, if so it could be a PTFE replacement someone has fitted. I would think PTFE is the wrong material to use on a piston head as it is malleable and changes shape. That is why it is used as flange seals because it adapts to indentations. You need a resilient material like polyurethane which is used by the majority of spring gun manufacturers.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 14-10-2015 at 11:53 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I have managed to get it off. It was so loose int he groove that it gave the impression of being solid and attached by some sort of central mechanism. It is very hard - harder than the seals on my other guns - I suspect it is just old....

i can thoroughly recommend the red seals sold by customairseals in australia,they are on the bay of e.cheap as chips,fast postage and an excellent seal.

Quote Originally Posted by larrylamppost View Post
    i can thoroughly recommend the red seals sold by customairseals in australia,they are on the bay of e.cheap as chips,fast postage and an excellent seal.

Cheers mate - might give them a go

Yes TDI polyurethane with red dye colouring. You can add any colour to the neutral base polymer. Red, green and blue being the most popular for piston seals.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I have a blue colour seal which was part of the Vortek kit for HW 95/98 ( this kit did not fit my HW 98 BTW ). It was not as efficient as the standard Weirauch seal on my HW 98 by quite a margin. The appearance was also different with a very shallow undercut on the face of the seal. The standard seal has a deep groove around the edge of the seal allowing the compressed air to expand the thin lip of the seal on compression. This probably accounts for the extra efficiency of the original seal which incidentally is not white or cream in colour but old ivory. Whether this indicates a different material is anyone's guess.

Regards,
    A.G

Does anyone know if the Walther Century seal fits onto an HW80 or HW35 piston ?

All the best Mick

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    Quote Originally Posted by neil180 View Post
    I have just stripped down my project HW80.
    The piston doesn't have a parachute seal like I am used to seeing, it has some sort of solid nylon block thing.

So - my question

Anybody know what this is? How do you change them? Should I change it? Is a parachute seal better? Is there a conversion out there to change from one to the other?

I have searched the internet with no success so far so I hope the vast wealth of knowledge on here can come to my rescue!
    hello neil.
    i find the older parachute seals work much better on the hw"s, the newer ones, i have
    found to be a bit slack.

Quote Originally Posted by larrylamppost View Post
    A second for that, excellent quality item, especially the latest MoS impregnated version, Laurie the owner is a really helpful guy too.

Hw80 seal in century

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Does anyone know if the Walther Century seal fits onto an HW80 or HW35 http:/

All the best Mick
    http://youtu.be/kNCk0po7QOQ
    Take a look at this on YouTube apparently it made a hell of difference to the Walther century power.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole5 View Post
    http://youtu.be/kNCk0po7QOQ
    Take a look at this on YouTube apparently it made a hell of difference to the Walther century power.
    Thanks for that Mole5.

Bit of a shame the chap didn't use a chrono but his graph worked well enough.

All the best Mick