Thread: How to choose magnification on the scope?

mroek Guest

How to choose magnification on the scope?

I've just recently purchased a scope with variable magnification (5-15).

Up until now I have only been shooting paper at 15 m, but I have a hard time deciding which magnification I prefer. Diameter of the target is 47 mm (1.85" for you imperial guys), and with a magnification of 15x the black part of the target spans two mildots in my scope.

However, aiming sensitivity also increases with increased magnification, and while it is nice to have this very detailed image of the target, I tend to dial a bit down on the magnification to lower the sensitivity. My groups leave a lot to be desired at any magnification (as you can see from the target above), but I suspect the pellets are partly to blame (have ordered a couple tins of JSB Exacts at 4.52 to try).

Are there any rules of thumb for choosing magnification? For now, disregard that the scope is only true mildot at one magnifcation (15x in my case).

Regards
    -Øyvind

Nutty_Squirrel Guest
    Use what you feel most comfortable using. Practice with that mag and you will get used to what it offers.
    If shooting in low light then use the lowest mag possible to allow more light in.
    I use 4x exclusively for my shooting, that's out to 35yrds.

Hi Øyvind

I think the short answer to your question is 'Whatever works best for you'.

It all depends on the conditions you're shooting in and what you're trying to achieve.

If you're taking standing shots at 15m in a well lit range then shooting at 15x mag will magnify any wobbles you have. I don't think it'll increase aim sensitivity, it'll just make your wobbles more apparent to you.

This can be a good thing and a bad thing. If you train at shooting on 15x mag and learn to shoot through the wobbles, you'll find that turning the mag down to 10x will make it feel as though your aim is rock solid and give you a confidence boost. Having more confidence in your aim will normally lead to greater accuracy.

If you're shooting at a very small target you might find that a higher mag is more helpful because at low mag you may find that the thickness of the crosshairs obscures too much of the target.

When you're shooting outside at longer range there are lots of other factors that come into it, which I won't go into detail about here (this post is getting too long already )

Which leads me back to my short answer - 'Whatever works best for you'.
    Last edited by Brian.Samson; 11-08-2005 at 06:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Scarecrow Guest
    Can only speak from FT shooting experience, which I range find and shoot on 50x magnification.

Yes it magnifies the wobbles (doesn't change sensitivity - the wobbles are still there at lower mags, you just can't see them), but I'd rather work on the basis that I'd like to be able to see when the wobbles are outside the kill zone, which is difficult on a 35yard reduced kill at lower mags.

I dont think there is a standard rule of thumb that all can abide to.

But, like Brian said, its a case of whatever works best for you , i.e., it's a personal preference, unique to each individual.

Obviously you want the level of mag that offers the best, most consistent performance on your part, as in, practise using 7,10 & 13x mag. and see if you have any tendancies to shoot tighter groups on the higher or lower rangeof mag.s, best to practise, and perform some fair tests to determine which one you can best put to use.

One thing you could try, would be to look through your scope at the target with the mag at the least times mag., then increase it until you have a sight picture that you like the most, or prefer the most, you could try it the other way around, i.e. put the scope on 15x then adjust it until the target size looks just right through your scope, each time you do it, record the mag. level you end up on, hopefully you'll notice a pattern emerging, and the results may be of some help to you and deciding which final mag to put your scope on (p.s dont check the level of mag by looking at the scope, keep looking through the scope otherwise you results will tend to be biasd), ofcourse, the nicest sight picture doesnt always = the best performance, although you'll probably find the higher mag settings offer better precision, should you use them effectively. I think id definitely sway towards the higher end of the mag spectrum, baring with the highlighted wobbles, because ultimately, if you learn to shoot high mag effectively, you can get the most precision from your rifle? right?

HTH
    Last edited by NearoZero; 11-08-2005 at 05:30 PM.

mroek Guest
    Thanks for the answers. It all boils down to personal preference, I guess.

What I meant when I said that the sensitivity increases as the magnification increases is that since shooting involves a closed loop system from your eyes to your muscles, increased magnification would yield more system "gain", and possibly cause instability in the feedback loop.

Regards
    -Øyvind

I use a 3-9x50 as i mainly hunt with the odd bit of paper punching as practice and zeroing.When out in the field i never use more than 6x mag but for zeroing i'll use full mag to get it as precise as i can.I just find it easier to shoot consistently with the lower mag when using the different stances that hunting demands.

Quote Originally Posted by mroek
    ncreased magnification would yield more system "gain", and possibly cause instability
    That's true, and that's why shooting on high mag is a good training exercise.

Everyone wobbles on standers, if you try to correct your wobbles by tensing your muscles the wobbles will get worse, not better.

If you can learn to shoot through the wobbles you'll be a much better standing shot.

High mag practice can help with this.

p.s. I'm a rotten standing shot, so what do I know