Thread: LED Lenser ... Which One??

LED Lenser ... Which One??

As well as being addicted to air guns you also get a similar bug for torches.

I've got a T 7.2 but they're quite big and bulky (for putting on a scope that you're trying to keep the overall weight down) so was looking at the P 5.2 against the M5 (sounds like a 550 bhp BM ) has anyone used either of these .... I think the only real difference apart from a slightly different bezel is one's single and the other's 3 mode from what I can see????

If anyone's used one of these and has any comments good or bad I'd appreciate them ... I'm mainly looking to use it out to about 30 yds and personally for shooting I like something that has a tight focus ..

Any input appreciated !!!

I've an unhealthy (according to my other half) number of touches and having bought some at varying price points I see absolutely no reason to go for some of the expensive branded models. You'll find models that out perform in terms of run time, brightness and modes from the far east. If you're after a light weight and tight focus have a look at a zoomable 14500 battery powered model. These are 3.7v AA size batteries so the touches will usually operate from a 1.5v AA cell too (obviously at reduced performance) you can get a torch, batteries and charger for as little as £5.50 delivered from China The batteries and charger will be pants in the bundle so I'd recommend getting a decent charger (one that will change multiple cell types such as this one). and batteries and a torch separately. Other sites to look on are Gearbest, Aliexpress and for advice the BLF (Bargain light forums) The sellers are all from the far east but I've had good customer service from each of these unlike another I've used.

Also to add if you're not after the ultimate lightweight a 18650 based light will give a much longer runtime.

wseed,
    cheers for that .... I have got various versions of both you mention ... the 14500, whilst it gives the perfect focused and small beam doesn't have enough run time and isn't bright enough with AA's .. in essence I'm trying to replicate it with a 14500 but just longer battery life .... the 18650's throw out a much wider beam and isn't nearly as subtle from the neighbours point of view when shooting at night but they're both GREAT torches for the money.

Whilst I appreciate the Lensers are expensive if it gives me exactly what I'm after I'd consider it worthwhile as it'd be a one off investment I'd keep and use very regularly for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Funnybucker View Post
    wseed,
    cheers for that .... I have got various versions of both you mention ... the 14500, whilst it gives the perfect focused and small beam doesn't have enough run time and isn't bright enough with AA's
    You can get varying capacity cells and a decent 14500 combined with an adjustable torch should allow greater runtime. I have a 14500 based head lamp and while it has a diffuser so it not suitable for your use it will allow for all night use at it's lower levels

Quote Originally Posted by Funnybucker View Post
    .. in essence I'm trying to replicate it with a 14500 but just longer battery life .... the 18650's throw out a much wider beam
    The beam patter in a feature of the torch not the cell type. I've various 18650 models that are either throwers or focusable.

Quote Originally Posted by wseed View Post
    You can get varying capacity cells and a decent 14500 combined with an adjustable torch should allow greater runtime. I have a 14500 based head lamp and while it has a diffuser so it not suitable for your use it will allow for all night use at it's lower levels

The beam patter in a feature of the torch not the cell type. I've various 18650 models that are either throwers or focusable.
    The 14500's are all around 45 min runtime with a c 700 mah and the lithium batteries don't come much larger ... if you happen to know of any 18650's that focus down to a tight beam I'd be really interested there's no other way I can find one unless recommended or alternatively buy them all

My reasons for wanting it tight is there's no point in lighting up the whole field but also I shoot in the garden at night quite a bit and it's less "obtrusive" to the neighbours if I'm not lighting up the whole neighbourhood

I can't find the one I have now I bought it some time ago. This one has the same emitter and focusable convex lens.

Flood pic

Narrow beam (I had to tip the rear up more to even hit the floor with the beam)

FYI re the 14500 I have, Skilhunt H15 will for over 5 hours at 50lumins 8.5 hours quoted but I've not used it for that long so if the lamp has the ability to stop down it will give good run times.

looks like I can't display embedded images hosted on google directly.
    Last edited by wseed; 28-05-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wseed View Post

FYI re the 14500 I have, Skilhunt H15 will for over 5 hours at 50lumins 8.5 hours quoted but I've not used it for that long so if the lamp has the ability to stop down it will give good run times.
    The LED 5.2 or M5 will give 140 lumens for about 4.5 hrs ... 50 lms isn't enough for shooting out to 30 yds??????????

Cell type has absolutely nothing to do with the throw of the light.
    Where cells differ is the diameter and length and also the contact type such as button or flat top.
    The capacity will also vary and they may or may not have protection circuits too.
    I have cheapo 18650 and expensive ones. I would always buy from a reputable source and buy few of high quality than loads of sit. Remember these cells carry a punch and they can and do catch fire and explode albeit infrequently.
    The beam is set by the type of LED and the reflector or aspherical lens. If you want a tight beam the LED chip has to be small and the reflector deep and large diameter. If you want flood then bigger chips will do this.
    If you are Looking for tight throwers, they tend to have the big deep reflector or the aspheric lens and no reflector
    Flooders usually have much bigger chips and may also have quads (4 chips on one mount) and the can stray into monstrous outputs.

LUMEN output can be a bit confusing. I have an OMG asher that is only rated at 250 lumen IIRC but the throw is amazing g and long before the likes of nightforce etc. I have a flooded that punches out 6700 lumen and it's a wall of light but it's stable mate out throws it.

50 lumen is generally inadequate for hunting unless very close and you have damned good optics that work with lights. Not all scopes work well with torch light indeed one of the scopes I inherited with a rifle is total pants.

The ability to step output is pretty essential IMHO if you are a generalist hunter or pest controller.

Flood to spot is also very handy.

My main hunting light is a ludicrous lumens T 37 running on 2 x 18650s and a ramped up output red LED. The tight beam shoots to centre fire ranges and the red LED means you don't get swamped by bugs when out at night in the summer.
    My mate like's a hand held light force in white and he seems to like eating moths or having g his inner ear invaded by the little bastt ards. ...

Buying cheap is OK but buy a few. Failure rates can be higher and from experience the build quality can vary from half decent to total site.

I have a personal dislike of Lenser. Over priced tat and not even regulated. Your money can go so much further than Lenser.

I prefer 18650 for biker punch and longer legs. Having said that carrying spare cells and swapping out in the field is hardly a big issue.

I always recommend you over engineer the output but have multi output so you can pull it back or ramp it up.

Single mode is a bit limiting to be frank. And aspheric are great if you want to keep disturbance to a minimum or want looking for range. Even the humble T20 will give you really decent range with a thrower pill and a compact unit on an 18650 platform.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Sorry wasn't trying to suggest that 50 lumens would be what you need just pointing out not running flat out will give greater run time.

My main hunting light is a ludicrous lumens T 37 running on 2 x 18650s and a ramped up output red LED. The tight beam shoots to centre fire ranges and the red LED means you don't get swamped by bugs when out at night in the summer.
    My mate like's a hand held light force in white and he seems to like eating moths or having g his inner ear invaded by the little bastt ards. ...

What do you mean by a ramped up output led

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post

What do you mean by a ramped up output led
    It isn't the standard LED.
    LEDS can be upgraded and or driven harder to get more output.
    The pill in my T37 is a higher output. Even in red it has a similar throw to the T67 tho the 67 is tighter because of the bigger and deeper lens.
    It really is a very good light.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill