Thread: Postage ?

Postage ?

Hi
    Looking for some advise as regards posting of air pistols and if you also know bayonets within the UK, before putting some of my Webley`s for sale, I wonder who you use or recommend ?

Thanks

Royal Mail Special Delivery (RMSD) is the only Royal mail service allowed for the posting of Air Pistols within the UK, including compensation levels likely to cover most items. Link = RMSD
    Parcel Force 48 is the only service allowed for Air Rifles, but maximum compensation is only £100.
    Most, if not all alternative carriers including Hermes, prohibit the carriage of Air Guns of any sort for the general public, but some, such as TNT, will carry Air guns for registered RFD's only.
    There have been numerous discussions on this BBS on this particular topic, so a search will reveal these previous discussions.

Although that was alos my understanding about the services you could use, the RM restricted goods page just says:

Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms. Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted. When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation.

Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays. Please see www.royalmail.com/prohibitedgoods

Use 1st Class as the minimum service. The sender’s name and address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

I think the parcelforce thing is because of the size of the package rather than anything else.

I could imagine you might struggle with a bayonet. The prohibition that often causes the trouble with airguns is "weapons", and RM frequently have to be reminded that they do specifically allow the carriage of airguns. The trouble with the bayonet is (1) it is actually a weapon albeit probably not the type they mean and (2) although carriage of knives is allowed if you follow RM's packaging guidance, the pictogram they use on the prohibited goods sheet for post office staff who can't read is of a big knife and so some of them think you cannot post any knife. I have, I kid you not, been turned away from a large post office because I was posting a swiss army knife, which the slow learner on the desk said was a weapon. God alone knows what he would have done if I had said it was a bayonet. There's no point arguing with these people, I just went to another post office and it was fne.

That said the self service quick drop machines just require you to push a button confirming you are not posting prohibited goods so that may be your best bet.

This is all on the RM website under dangerous and prohibited goods and it is well worth reading about packaging and labelling

The bayonet is not a problem with either R.M. or Parcelforce. The problem is with the counter staff because some idiot has provided them with a plastic graphics card which they hold up in front of the customer and ask if the package contains any of these items. One of the illustrations is of a knife, this gives the impression that they are not allowed which leads them to refuse the service. They have to be told that it means that knives (the ones that can be owned legally) are on the advisory or restricted list and that the only restriction is that sharp items must be packaged safely. It's all written clearly in their own set of rules.

QUOTE from the R.M. website.
    Follow these packaging guidelines:
    Wrap heavy cardboard around sharp edges and points, strong enough to ensure that the contents do not pierce the outer packaging. Wrap each item with cushioning material. Place in a suitable outer container such as a padded envelope. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

Mel.
    Last edited by mel h; 30-05-2016 at 09:30 AM.