Thread: Bell Target Paint

Bell Target Paint

Does anyone know the proportions of castor oil to white paint powder to produce bell target paint?

My existing supply was put together by a club member over 10 years ago and is coming to an end, so I'll need to make up some more.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Does anyone know the proportions of castor oil to white paint powder to produce bell target paint?

My existing supply was put together by a club member over 10 years ago and is coming to an end, so I'll need to make up some more.

John
    The white paint powder is titanium dioxide or artists white. When mixed with vegetable or baby oil it produces a none drying paint. The proportions are random as any amount of powder mixed with oil to a creamy consistency will produce an adequate covering paint.

Quote Originally Posted by 4end View Post
    The white paint powder is titanium dioxide or artists white. When mixed with vegetable or baby oil it produces a none drying paint. The proportions are random as any amount of powder mixed with oil to a creamy consistency will produce an adequate covering paint.
    Thank you.
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Just a note on veg oil, it will work but will go rancid, especially quickly if kept in an open container.

I just mix more white in until it feels right. If it's too runny, add more.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

No idea, but would linseed oil work?

edbear2 Guest
    I mixed up Ti diox powder and Castor oil maybe 6 years ago for my practice target, still works 100% with a stir, been out in the garage all that time

Ratio is to a smooth paint like consistancy, apply and see if covers well, add more oil /powder as needed.

ATB, ED

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    At home I just use white artists oil paint with engine oil just mixed to a consistency I'm happy with.
    Doesn't go off or smell with age.

John,

I take a tablespoon of titanium dioxide powder, and 'slack' it down with Mineral Oil BP ( from pharmacist, or just use Johnsons Baby Oil ) until it is the consistency I like.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Thank you all for your kind advice.

A very kind member has offered to send me some already made up paint, for which I am very grateful.

My last pot must have lasted for 10 years.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    At home I just use white artists oil paint with engine oil just mixed to a consistency I'm happy with.
    Doesn't go off or smell with age.
    I wish that could be said of me...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    I wish that could be said of me...
    You and me both. I was once accused of hiding Saddam's weapons of mass destruction in a part of my anatomy by a club member - some people

John

I used Johnson's baby oil... maybe 10ml and adding the powder until the mix looked / felt OK. A little goes a long way.

In desperate times I have used old emulsion paint in the 'tester' pots. OK, it dries but worked for me ... non competitive plinking.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I used Johnson's baby oil... maybe 10ml and adding the powder until the mix looked / felt OK. A little goes a long way.

In desperate times I have used old emulsion paint in the 'tester' pots. OK, it dries but worked for me ... non competitive plinking.
    Cheers, Phil
    Thanks Phil.