Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why are marlins so shite ?

why are marlins so shite ?

getting a bit fed up with this rifle now.my .44 has been at the shop for months waiting on parts that you can not find on the planet.you would think with just a couple of these thing made for a few years there would be a lot of parts available.anyway being content with having the .357 to shoot i could wait for the .44 to be fixed.on sunday the .357 broke again.ffs.you can not get a replacement carrier anywhere.how useless.the total shite standard of the components is a joke.obviously that will do the job is good enough in their factory.the level of play in the tolerances is a joke as is the level of finish on the m/c parts.not a happy bunny.would not recommend one to anyone.looks like i will have to make the part myself.just looking at the component for 30seconds i could see at least 2 things i could improve on that should make it last more than 6 months .
    this is a pre remlin model.
    so angry i have put this in the wrong section.
    Last edited by ZaksGod; 31-05-2016 at 06:05 PM.

boff180 Guest
    Sounds like you've just been unlucky, my John Marlin .44 Cowboy hasn't put a foot wrong since I've had it.... virtually unstoppable at 100m

I would have to agree with boff , I have had my 44 JM Marlin 6 years and 12500 rounds with no issues .
    Mike

Next time I see you at sneedhams you're welcome to use my Winchester.

Yep, bought my .357 JM Marlin with my pistol compo money, so its nearly 20 years old, must have had at least 1k rounds a year through it, still going strong and never had a problem with it.

I assume you tried Marlinspares.com...??

They have this carrier assembly..??

http://marlinspares.com/products/marlin1894/514461-2/

My 357 Marlin is 12 years old and apart from breaking a firing pin has run faultlessly, famous last words. Try also South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies, they supplied the firing pin the following day.
    I hear the new Marlins aren't as good as the old ones but that may be a rumour put about by those trying to sell their old ones.

I haven't used my JM Marlin 38/357 much but I paid a shed load of dosh for it a year of so ago and it's as sweet as a sweet thing... Keeper, that's for sure...

Marlins

The 336 models seem to be much stronger than the 1894 models. I must have put thousands of rounds through my 336...

amc577

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I had a .22 Model 39M and it was a tack-driver, solid steel and walnut, very strongly made.

Maybe this should be titled "Why are my Marlins so shite?"

I have 3 JM Marlins in 22, 357 and 44. The oldest is about 50 years old and none of them have had any problems.

You could just be unlucky?
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

your not the only one. new ones are no where need like the older once. i belive they are now not marlin but remlings thanks to remington

My son after about 18 months of looking has just bought a Marlin 1894 (dated 1979, before the S model - £450, a good condition low use 1894 at a sensible price, they are out there) and after taking it to the range and a several hundred rounds later he says there's nothing wrong with his Marlin either.

It may just be the early Remlins or too much fettling by previous owners that causes problems but the older ones seem to be damn fine rifles in their stock state.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by sarge4318 View Post
    My son after about 18 months of looking has just bought a Marlin 1894 (dated 1979, before the S model - £450, a good condition low use 1894 at a sensible price, they are out there) and after taking it to the range and a several hundred rounds later he says there's nothing wrong with his Marlin either.

It may just be the early Remlins or too much fettling by previous owners that causes problems but the older ones seem to be damn fine rifles in their stock state.
    Micro Groove ones do tend to go for less, I've got a 1981 .357 1894 Micro Groove and it shoots as well as my Ballard Rifled 1894 Cowboy!

Quote Originally Posted by ZaksGod View Post
    getting a bit fed up with this rifle now.my .44 has been at the shop for months waiting on parts that you can not find on the planet.you would think with just a couple of these thing made for a few years there would be a lot of parts available.anyway being content with having the .357 to shoot i could wait for the .44 to be fixed.on sunday the .357 broke again.ffs.you can not get a replacement carrier anywhere.how useless.the total shite standard of the components is a joke.obviously that will do the job is good enough in their factory.the level of play in the tolerances is a joke as is the level of finish on the m/c parts.not a happy bunny.would not recommend one to anyone.looks like i will have to make the part myself.just looking at the component for 30seconds i could see at least 2 things i could improve on that should make it last more than 6 months .
    this is a pre remlin model.
    so angry i have put this in the wrong section.
    BROWNELLS do a carrier for 74 quid plus post free post for orders over 100 quids

Hi as we were talking on Sunday we can make the part you want. Tony
    Howa Varmint 204 Ruger,243win,308win,Rem PSS 308win, Steyr 22/250