Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Airsporter into a Stutzen stock

BSA Airsporter into a Stutzen stock

I've found a place with a few reasonably priced Stutzen stocks that need refinishing. Can it be made to hold the workings from any of the standard Airsporters or Airsporter S?

Unless I have missed something, it should work fine. And look a bit like the older Centennial.

If you can share it, I'd be interested to know what place is selling the stocks.

Edit: it should work fine if your action has the same diameter barrel as the Stutzen barrel. IIRC, they used the thicker barrel from the S, but don't trust me on that.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    If you're looking at the John Knibbs site then check their stock as they only have the Centenary stocks, remember that the RB2 Stutzen stock won't fit the tap loader action (and vice versa) and that some of the earlier Airsporters had longer cocking levers and a lot of the Stutzens used the push button shorter levers.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Thumbs up

The Barrel band from a Stuttie would be needed I think to hold down the forend!!

I've seen this combination on facebook, It looked strange but really quite nice

I occasionally look on fleabay for a Stuttie stock but they always go way expensive on there!

Also, There's a difference between the not sop common taploading Stuttie and the RB2- There's no circular cutout for the tap on the RB so it would need to be inlett for it..

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    It's probably fair to say that just about any Airsporter stock could be adapted to fit almost any Airsporter action - it all depends on your Woodworking skills/abilities.
    I have a Mk1 action that is fitted into a Mk4 stock - it has been reasonably well done and looks okay - but it may not stay that way. (I bought it as a 'project' with a view of making a one off stock myself)
    I also have a Mk2 action I fitted into a Mk1 stock - there are minor differences but I modified the stock to allow for them.
    There are a number of differences between all the different Marks - some have been pointed out already.
    What the end result would look like would again depend on your woodworking skills, in some cases, pieces of matching beech would have to be inlet where the breech/barrel shape differs at the front, the position of the forend screws differ, (so may require dowling and relocating the holes etc.
    The Mk1/2 actions have a slimmer profile towards the front, so the shape of the stock differs, later marks have different barrel arrangements at the breech etc. The mk1 one piece barrel tapers from the breech, all other marks have parallel barrels but differing details at the breech, the 'S' barrels are bigger diameter, etc, etc. Differences in tap/rotary breech loaders, differences in the underlever types.
    Not quite so easy a task as one might imagine but not impossible!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

how much do stutzen stocks go for and barrel band

Quote Originally Posted by the green man View Post
    how much do stutzen stocks go for and barrel band
    Depends on condition and if you're lucky to find one for starters, parts go for stupid money on the bay of evil, considering the rifles are going for £350 upwards nowadays.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

THIS is a mk2 action let in to a mk5/6 stock, The forend has been reshaped and actually looks similar to a Falke 90

The frorend screwholes didn't align either!! I think i'll keep an eye on fleabay for a mk2 stock!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    THIS is a mk2 action let in to a mk5/6 stock, The forend has been reshaped and actually looks similar to a Falke 90

The frorend screwholes didn't align either!! I think i'll keep an eye on fleabay for a mk2 stock!!

John
    One on the bay at the mo John but it will probably go for a bit!
    You could always sell the one you have on - someone will buy it, there's always a market for Airsporter stocks!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post

John
    Thanks, I love your collections (like you I collect watches)

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I might give it a go £45 isn't too much and the stock will need refinishing anyway so if it is for the RB rather than the tap I will work it out somehow.

Sorry for my late response and thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I might give it a go £45 isn't too much and the stock will need refinishing anyway so if it is for the RB rather than the tap I will work it out somehow.

Sorry for my late response and thanks again.
    Sounds like you're reading the John Knibbs website advert, like I said earlier, check to see if they actually have any in stock at that price (unless you've already have and they do then I'll shut up).

Pete

No they're out of stock as you said so the idea is on hold but not cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    No they're out of stock as you said so the idea is on hold but not cancelled
    If you are decent at a bit of woodwork, it wouldn't be too difficult getting a suitable piece of beech and splicing into and extending the forend of the stock, the problem would be the join as it would be visible and difficult to hide.
    Thought about it myself a couple of times though as I like the look of the longer stocks. (but not so struck on the 'stuzen' type effect personally)

Brexit!
    ASM

Airpoter Stuzen

I have one of these rifles . It was requested by a customer who wrote a letter to BSA asking if it was possible .. they did this putting an RB2 airpoter in a Stuzen stock . I have the letters as proof . The interesting thing is they also labeled the box calling it the Stuzen Sporter . A one off ...maybe . Photos can be emailed to anyone interested . It will be for sale but where to start on a price I'm lost . Over to you guys ???? .
    Many thanks Shane