Thread: heavy pellets

heavy pellets

some of the lads in my local club are going to heavier pellets, ..what are your thoughts on this ? as surely the pellets will have a slower FPS so will be in the air longer which gives the wind more time to take effect ..any thoughts ?

Being heavier such pellets may have a higher BC value which will offset the lower velocity. Roughly as a first guess the wind response is inversely proportional to BC X Muzzle velocity, so it is the product of the two which is important. The higher the value the better the pellet will be in the wind. If you go to extreme values of BC X Muzzle Velocity the relationship tends to break down but I wouldn't expect anyone to be using pellets at the extremes for FT/HFT.

When I started in HFT 14 years ago, a couple of my colleagues shot FT and Bisley Magnums were the pellet of choice then. It's just the wheel going full circle.......

Yeah! i remember one of our members Rob Appleyard used to use JSB heavies!...and swore by them!...or at them.. Ha!

You are in the wrong section, you should post in general airgun!
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by blackscale View Post
    Yeah! i remember one of our members Rob Appleyard used to use JSB heavies!...and swore by them!...or at them.. Ha!

You are in the wrong section, you should post in general airgun!
    As I recall most of my expletives were aimed at your course setting..

I used JSB heavies on windy days....Tested through a Daystate mk 3 sport the BC came out at 0.032 using two calibrated cronos at zero and 25 yds.
    The trajectory is not as quite as flat as JBS but it worked for me with my setup aim points....any failure to hit targets was not a pellet issue..

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    There's bound to be an optimum pellet weight for each setup but the only way to tell is by testing. We're only talking about marginal differences though so unless you have a wind tunnel and some expensive kit ... We used to have the same conversation with Crossbow shooting. You could get away with light bolts for indoor shooting but everyone used heavy bolts outdoors. You don't need fletchings on them either but you had to have them due to the rules. Large fletchings over compensate though so I've seen bolts hit left on a target in a left to right wind. It's confusing to newbies. If you're going to try them keep notes and give them a fair trial, not just a couple of weeks. We used to do quite a bit of bench testing with crossbows to remove the human element.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Who is that Applecart guy??...

Never thought about the fletchings doing that!...
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!