Thread: First Pistol Choice

First Pistol Choice

Is it wrong to go straight out and but a Steyr for my first pistol? It's what I'm using at my club and would like my own to practice dry firing at home. what would you recomend?

If you are getting used to a Steyr and you like it then go and buy one! There's no point messing around with anything cheaper if you are serious about the sport. It might be worth a look at similar pistols (Walther, Morini, Feinwerkbau etc ) but if you've found something you get on with then buy one.
    Having your own pistol means that you can train at home, modify the grip to fit you properly and adjust everything to how you want it.
    Last edited by Fierynick; 03-06-2016 at 09:22 AM. Reason: grammatical errors.
    Fierynick

+Keep Calm and Shoot Tens+

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Go for it if you are shooting well with the club Steyr,having your own can only improve your shooting
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

I shot a fwb100 ssp at my club and did well with it, so i went and bought one. It was my first match pistol. Im doing exactly as described above. Dry firing every night. Modufying and adjusting the grip. Im doing as rustybuzz? Recommended and am experimenting with bluetack until i get a feel for what i need for my hand - today was my first day bulking out the grip to get a better fit.. its a bug improvement but im noticing a different kind if fatigue in my hand after a few cards. Its definitely worth doing this before committing with wood filler or whatever. Ill probably keep experimenting for a few more sessions before doing anything permanent.
    Donald

Go for it.

Having dabbled in various kinds of match shooting on and off for years, I have concluded that the worst thing you can do is buy mid-range kit. Either buy cheap or, if funds allow it, pricy. The mid-range won't help you enough to notice a difference early on compared to the cheaper starter stuff, and you will sooner or later want to trade up from it, at a loss unless you got a really good deal on a used item.

So I recommend either learning the craft on something like a well-used Gamo Compact, Diana 6, FAS604 or FWB65 (which you can of course sell on at little or no loss), or with something top-flight that will not lead you to wonder if the gun is holding you back.

Buy what suits you. Weight and balance wise. Just because the neighbour shoots steyr it doesnt mean it suits you.
    Try first.
    Otherwise, even a steyr can be a waste of money
    ATB,
    yana

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Of course buy the best you can afford, Steyr are probably the most popular make , But, other makes are available and as good, pistols are very personal, so try others first, I'd suggest Morini, Walther LP400, and if you can find one the new FWB 8.

Then with Steyr there are some options which you may prefer, full length, compact, electronic (E) or manual trigger, and LP10 or LP2, they are all very personal to the shooter, and your build, its not just cost, if you are a bit smaller the LP2 can be a better option than the LP10, and a compact is also an option to be considered before buying. I have an LP2 compact from personal choice, just wish they did an E version, but for you you may be happier with an LP10.

Yes, go for it, but look at the options. Unless you are in a big club with members with all the choices, an open meeting is a good chance to see the options.

Good Shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Some great advice folks, much appreciated any clues were in the midlands I can handle the different makes, struggling to find a high street shop?

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose75 View Post
    Some great advice folks, much appreciated any clues were in the midlands I can handle the different makes, struggling to find a high street shop?
    I believe the NSRA have a shop at Aldersley range,if you google the West Midlands Regional Shooting Centre,you can see their details,it's in Wolverhampton.Id give them a ring first to see what they have in stock,I've never been there myself,but the NSRA shop at Bisley is pretty well stocked with target pistols,though they don't stock Morini,if you want to try one contact Iqbal Ubhi,the U.K. Agent,he's also based in Birmingham.

Good luck

Neale
    Last edited by tufty; 04-06-2016 at 04:23 PM.
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

There is a comp at Aldersley tomorrow from 9.00 am. I believe Steyr UK may be there.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Buying the best you can in the first instance will save you upgrading as you improve and therefore a lot of cash, as all the other advise do try different pistols before spending, I shot a Steyr for 3 years, it was only when I visited my club without my pistol due to working late one night and rather than just watch I decided to have a shoot with our club pistol, a Walther. I instantly fell in love with it, preferred the weight, balance and just about everything felt better suited, if only I'd done this before buying my 2nd Steyr, Rink grips etc etc, I am now the very happy owner of 2 Walthers but spent a lot of money getting there, all modern match pistols are capable of winning but they are all very different and suit different people, only trying will tell you which is best for you,
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Thanks all