Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: BSA Scorpion or HW 45 ?

I wanted to convert a couple to .20 and possibly .25. I missed a brazing machine so the only way would be to drill and rebarrel the barrel....plus small narrow barrels are hard to come by.

I'm a fan I've four or five, lol Had seven, got told it was too many I'd still have another

.177 Diana P5. Long sleek, powerful, accurate, nicely balanced, bright open sights with a fantastic 2 stage trigger.

I have a .177 and a .22 Scorpion as well as a .22 HW45. I prefer shooting through scorpions and recently have been thinking about a buccaneer for fun. I just find the scorpions easier to shoot. The HW45 suffers from its compact layout I think, almost like a BSA magnum or Jumbo (although the jumbo is a different mechanism).

I now have a Scorpion pistol in .22. It's very cool, looks like a ray-gun & makes a hell of a bang when I manage to hit a tin can

I must admit I'm finding it difficult to be accurate with it (it's me, not the gun as Sophie is an excellent shot with it )

Having only shot Webley's before I seem to be taking a while to acclimatise to it ( I am getting better though), but any tips would be welcomed

Cheers

Dave

Way back when i had a scorpion pistol i had the brain wave drill out the breech to accept a hilti powder cartridge (the follies of youth) and as i wanted magnum power i used the black tipped cartridge for my test, i took the barrel off the gun drilled out the breech and tightened it in the vice, next i filled a pellet with solder and loaded it in front of the cart, as the rim of the cart was slightly raised above the breech it was an easy thing to just hit it with a hammer, at arms length of course i don't want you thinking it wasn't safe the barrel was pointing down at a balk of timber and with a deafening bang the hammer was thrown out of my hand and the timber looked like it had been shot with a 410 shot gun as the pellet defragmented. The rim of the cartridge sheared off where it protruded out the breech and left a very tight fitting brass sleeve in the breech, the idea was to fit a firing pin through the transfer port but after the shock of the first test fire i abandoned the project and believe that is why i am able to relate this crazy tale today. The barrel took the pressure ok though, i thought at the time it might end up looking like an exploded cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    Way back when i had a scorpion pistol i had the brain wave drill out the breech to accept a hilti powder cartridge (the follies of youth) and as i wanted magnum power i used the black tipped cartridge for my test, i took the barrel off the gun drilled out the breech and tightened it in the vice, next i filled a pellet with solder and loaded it in front of the cart, as the rim of the cart was slightly raised above the breech it was an easy thing to just hit it with a hammer, at arms length of course i don't want you thinking it wasn't safe the barrel was pointing down at a balk of timber and with a deafening bang the hammer was thrown out of my hand and the timber looked like it had been shot with a 410 shot gun as the pellet defragmented. The rim of the cartridge sheared off where it protruded out the breech and left a very tight fitting brass sleeve in the breech, the idea was to fit a firing pin through the transfer port but after the shock of the first test fire i abandoned the project and believe that is why i am able to relate this crazy tale today. The barrel took the pressure ok though, i thought at the time it might end up looking like an exploded cigar.
    Bloody hell dude.....you sound like me....on crack.
    Ive done some stuff down the years ....back in the 80s....i wont repeat it here ...admin would zorch the post.
    Im very responsible .....and boring now.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Bloody hell dude.....you sound like me....on crack.
    Ive done some stuff down the years ....back in the 80s....i wont repeat it here ...admin would zorch the post.
    Im very responsible .....and boring now.
    Did you ever throw lit french bangers under your grand dads car whilst he 's under it repairing the exhaust pipe(for a laugh of course)...I can't possibly repeat what he called me and little brother at the time

just bought a .22 mk1 scorpion pistol serial no ra 3772 for £65. Stripped it down had it re blued and spent
    £100 on refurbing it, it was only doing 3.5 ftlbs. After new spring, metal piston head, o ring and buffer washer it was doing 5.9 ftlbs. Before that i had a hw45 better built pistol but in my opinion not as accurate and the best it would manage was 5 ftlbs

HW45 all day its more accurate and more powerfull than the scorpion the 45 is just better built its trigger is better the Bsa is ok but its rubbish compared to th HW45.

I struggled shooting either of them accurately, I prefer my premier e series, far more compact and running at just over 3fpe and much lighter makes a great plinker. As mentioned my cp1 at 5fpe beats all of them

When this thread was started over 2 years ago it was comparing two spring pistols, at the time my CO2 Crosman 111 surpassed both of them for power and accuracy, and I don't think the CP1 was available in UK.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    HW45 all day its more accurate and more powerfull than the scorpion the 45 is just better built its trigger is better the Bsa is ok but its rubbish compared to th HW45.
    Dave,

I’m going to politely disagree with you a bit. I have owned only one example of each, but also tracked reviews and commentary by others.

Bottom line up front: I think they are equal. But very different.

Power: Scorp is in good condition always a 5+ gun. 45 is often mid-4s in factory trim.

Accuracy: tie. I can make a case that the Scorp is easier to achieve results with, because of its conventional layout and therefore normal spring-surge characteristics, rather than the overgrown Johnstone-Fearn Webley arrangement of the HW.

Build quality: not sure. Probably HW.

Ease of servicing: HW. By miles.

Handling: tie. The Scorp is colossal and the HW is smaller, and the HW has a 1911-style grip, so ought to win, but the Scorp is not bad either.

Trigger: my Scorp has a nice one. So does my 45. Tie. Advantage overall to the 45?

Cocking effort: 45 wins.

Coolness: well, I am of the age when the Scorpion was new and dead cool and the 45 did not then exist.

As I’ve said on here before, I spent many years thinking the Scorpion was a truly silly thing. Only once I got one did I change my mind. It’s surprinsgly good. (And the 45, while good, is not as great as some suggest).

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Geezer; 19-10-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Grammar and content and spelling.

the two weapons are very good buy the one you like the most

the bsa scorpion is ok I do like them but the 45 is just better ive owned many of both pistols and for me the Hw is more accurate better built its lighter and Ive always found the 45 is just easier to shoot the trigger and safety mech on the bsa is terrible and unreliable for me its the scorpions biggest downfall and facts are facts the 45 has been around since the early 80's and today still sells in vast numbers the bsa died a death years ago.

dave.
    Last edited by DM80; 20-10-2018 at 06:57 PM.

I now have a Scorpion & an early HW45 both in .22.

I don't know why but somehow I've never quite enjoyed either . The Scorpion I just struggle to be accurate with (although it looks damned cool) & the HW45 whilst I find accurate & solid is somehow just soulless.

To be honest for plinking I find my old Webley Tempest more fun than both