Thread: BSA Scorpion or HW 45 ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PS, Baz - you are never going to lose your money on a boxed minty Scorp. There aren't many about, and there's a collectors' market.

Whereas a used HW45 is just a used HW45.

Webley Hurricane isn't bad...

Getting my coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    PS, Baz - you are never going to lose your money on a boxed minty Scorp. There aren't many about, and there's a collectors' market.

Whereas a used HW45 is just a used HW45.

Webley Hurricane isn't bad...

Getting my coat.
    Funny I was just thinking the same thing. Scorpion more collectable. My mate will tell you I love collectables that are also good shooters, thats why I like Schimels and the old Benjamins as well. Will put pics of Scorp on tomorrow.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 03-06-2016 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Funny I was just thinking the same thing. Scorpion more collectable. My mate will tell you I love collectables that are also good shooters, thats why I like Schimels and the old Benjamins as well. Will put pics of Scorp on tomorrow.

Baz
    Look forward to it.

I am horribly fond of the Scorpion, in a prodigal son sort of way.

I spent 30 or more years writing them off as a nutty-looking double-amputated rifle for power-crazed loons that couldn't hit anything beyond a very big tin can at point-blank range. Then I finally bought one, and discovered the Scorp is actually a nutty-looking double-amputated rifle that on a good day can shoot two-thirds of an inch groups at 10M.

I have ...

... one of each but in 177. Both challenging. BSA is more accurate in my hands but I love the HW trigger. They are idiosyncratic but so rewarding when you get it right. Much more fun than my non- recoilers.

I have repaired a few of these but this is the nicest one that I have come across.

Baz

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...psonkrmfbl.jpg
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I've got both. HW feels more modern and serious. Scorpion is a big nostalgia rush and absolutely brilliant with a shoulder stock and red dot. Great kids trainer. Great rat buster. Great fun.

Get both S/H and sell the one you don't want (bet you keep both).

Thread resurrection time

I really like the look of both of these pistols. I looked at & handled both at an arms & militaria fair in November, a dealer there (chap called Tim Dyson dunno if you've heard of him, he has a site on line ?) had both on his stand.

I don't know why but I didn't buy either & have regretted it since

The Hw45 appeals because it's powerful gets great reviews but looks weirdly out of proportion like a bit of plank attached to some 1911 grips , the Scorpion I like 'cos it's British & just looks mental, like a ray gun from Dan Dare

I've always erred towards the Scorpion but the one thing that bothers me about the Scorpion is that I've heard it's really difficult to cock & can suffer from problems.

Is this the case that the Scorpion is it a pig to cock & will it be a pain in the **** if I get one ? Is the HW45 just better overall?

More opinions & info' etc would be good on either.

Cheers

Dave