Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: BSA Scorpion or HW 45 ?

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    the bsa scorpion is ok I do like them but the 45 is just better ive owned many of both pistols and for me the Hw is more accurate better built its lighter and Ive always found the 45 is just easier to shoot the trigger and safety mech on the bsa is terrible and unreliable for me its the scorpions biggest downfall and facts are facts the 45 has been around since the early 80's and today still sells in vast numbers the bsa died a death years ago.

dave.
    Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    I now have a Scorpion & an early HW45 both in .22.

I don't know why but somehow I've never quite enjoyed either . The Scorpion I just struggle to be accurate with (although it looks damned cool) & the HW45 whilst I find accurate & solid is somehow just soulless.

To be honest for plinking I find my old Webley Tempest more fun than both
    Agreed that the 45 is objectively better, but also somehow boring. The Scorp is nice, when it works, and a 70s icon. And they are surprisingly accurate if you get a good one.

Also agreed that other guns are more readily appealing for plinking. In my case, the Diana LP5 and various Webleys, esp the Senior.

Someone should do an objective test. Scorpion v 45 v Diana LP5 Magnum v Diana LP8 v Browning 800. Etc.

Someone should do an objective test. Scorpion v 45 v Diana LP5 Magnum v Diana LP8 v Browning 800. Etc.

Scorpion: sits nice and low and is surprisingly well balanced for Its size. Average trigger. Powerful and quite accurate with practice and familiarisation. Ages prematurely due to the easily scratched plastics.

HW45: sits too high for one-handed use. Looks good and is very well made. Dual power option is a boon. Very accurate and powerful. After market grips transform handling. Trigger is sublime.

LP8: poor construction, unwieldy and a dreadfully heavy and unpredictable trigger.

LP5: never had the pleasure

Browning 800: bin.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post

Scorpion: sits nice and low and is surprisingly well balanced for Its size. Average trigger. Powerful and quite accurate with practice and familiarisation. Ages prematurely due to the easily scratched plastics.

HW45: sits too high for one-handed use. Looks good and is very well made. Dual power option is a boon. Very accurate and powerful. After market grips transform handling. Trigger is sublime.

LP8: poor construction, unwieldy and a dreadfully heavy and unpredictable trigger.

LP5: never had the pleasure

Browning 800: bin.
    Agree with that. Have owned a Scorp and 45, read about the others.

I think the 45 can be OK one-handed, though. Bore line is high, but weight is fine (1.15 Kg, which is about 2.5 lbs).

I’ve had a few of the regular Diana 5s. I’d really like a go with the Magnum. I think they might be quite nice.

Got a scorpion two years ago for a few quid. A service at my local gun shop and its surprisingly accurate. I only bought it as it looked completely different to other pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Agree with that. Have owned a Scorp and 45, read about the others.

I think the 45 can be OK one-handed, though. Bore line is high, but weight is fine (1.15 Kg, which is about 2.5 lbs).

I’ve had a few of the regular Diana 5s. I’d really like a go with the Magnum. I think they might be quite nice.
    Try the P5.....It's like a Mod 5 on steroids ! Mine consistently put out 580 fps. with 8gn. pells. Fuuuuun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Markmelesky View Post
    Try the P5.....It's like a Mod 5 on steroids ! Mine consistently put out 580 fps. with 8gn. pells. Fuuuuun to shoot.
    I definitely want to. Just haven’t seen one for sale for ages. Which suggests that not many were sold here and/or owners like them.

Pity they only came in .177”. I wonder if a .22” barrel from a 5G fits? I have a hunch it probably does. That would be 😎.

I definitely want to. Just haven’t seen one for sale for ages. Which suggests that not many were sold here and/or owners like them.

Pity they only came in .177”. I wonder if a .22” barrel from a 5G fits? I have a hunch it probably does. That would be 😎.
    Hhmm...your barrel switch idea is a thought. currently has one or two P5's up for sale. Search : used air pistols.

Hhmm...your barrel switch idea is a thought. currently has one or two P5's up for sale. Search : used air pistols.
    Who does? F ree ads? Gun st@r? Not sure which terms apart from EE B ay are banned on here.

Who does? F ree ads? Gun st@r? Not sure which terms apart from EE B ay are banned on here.
    Sorry.....

Talking

I guess that would be EEbay.

Score pion !

I guess that would be EEbay.
    So.. I just rebuilt one of my Scorpions. It was putting out under 400 fps. so I opened her up and cleaned, lubed and replaced the buffer and the o ring seal on the piston head, then dropped in a new spring..Man what a difference !.......It's now putting out 540 fps. Also added some nylon washers to eliminate metal to metal. Smooth and really powerful......I was pleasantly surprised. Go Scorpion.....Still looking for one in .22.