Thread: Why oh why oh why?

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland

Why oh why oh why?

Why?
    Why is it, when you go into a gunshop and look at a rifle - it looks/feels/smells different to any of your own. (that you love)
    Why does it say to you - buy me...buy me...buy me!
    Happened to me today, went into our local gun shop and was shown two tasty Airsporters, the first was a Mk6 - a 'minter', the second a very tidy Mk1 - Oh! Why?...Why?...Why.....
    Time to go and see about my 'Airsporteritis' again...I know... there's no cure!

Brexit!
    ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    I reckon it's because they need a home where they can be truely loved and cherished and so you have to buy them otherwise it's a form of cruelty leaving them, after all anyone could get hold of them and ruin them forever, better off tucked up at home with people like us where they are safe You bought both didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    I reckon it's because they need a home where they can be truely loved and cherished and so you have to buy them otherwise it's a form of cruelty leaving them, after all anyone could get hold of them and ruin them forever, better off tucked up at home with people like us where they are safe You bought both didn't you?
    No mate - I only went in to buy some Pellets! I have got some will power left you know!
    I thought at one point the shop owner and I were going to get into a wrestle over the Mk1 though, he admitted it was part of his collection and didn't really want to sell it. I have two better Mk1s myself and another Mk1 for restoration - 4 would just be greedy but I was tempted!
    I could recognise that 'glazed' look in his eye - I knew he shouldn't sell it!

Brexit!
    ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Nooooo what you went in there for originally is completely not the point,I think we both know that! He dosnt love the Mk1 like you would and Airsporters are happier being surrounded by there own kind and a Mint Mk6.... thats unheard of because people trashed them,I've had a Mk6 for 30 years and wouldn't part with it but she's nowhere near mint. Go back tomorrow........

Nooooo what you went in there for originally is completely not the point,I think we both know that! He dosnt love the Mk1 like you would and Airsporters are happier being surrounded by there own kind and a Mint Mk6.... thats unheard of because people trashed them,I've had a Mk6 for 30 years and wouldn't part with it but she's nowhere near mint. Go back tomorrow........
    I bought my first Airsporter secondhand back in 1969 - still have it!
    I couldn't ask a man to sell me his 'baby' - I could see it in his eyes I tell you - that glazed stare,,,the whiteness of his knuckles as he held onto the rifle...no I just couldn't!....could I?..do you think?

Brexit!
    ASM

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    I bought my first Airsporter secondhand back in 1969 - still have it!
    I couldn't ask a man to sell me his 'baby' - I could see it in his eyes I tell you - that glazed stare,,,the whiteness of his knuckles as he held onto the rifle...no I just couldn't!....could I?..do you think?

Brexit!
    ASM
    Life is full of temptations some of which we resist and some of which we can't,if this fella didn't want to be tempted he shouldn't keep it in a shop for starters. You have planted the seed of interest, he knows you like it so enquire politely each visit on it's current wellbeing and happiness and then hit him with an offer he can't refuse and take his baby home with you Mwah ha ha ha ha

Saved many a gun from the gunshop
    Can't help if overpriced. Bought a few for others who would appreciate them even more; best if I make a bob or two but usually its break even. I say saved because at the price they might just become a throw away item when in fact they are desirable collector's pieces.
    Sadly, can't re-home every old dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Can't help if overpriced. Bought a few for others who would appreciate them even more; best if I make a bob or two but usually its break even. I say saved because at the price they might just become a throw away item when in fact they are desirable collector's pieces.
    I'm guilty of trying to save any old dog especially if it's got Webley or BSA stamped on it,I enjoy the challenge tbh. I see you are well placed to find these oldies being in Rye,I've bought a few from there over the years

Life is full of temptations some of which we resist and some of which we can't,if this fella didn't want to be tempted he shouldn't keep it in a shop for starters. You have planted the seed of interest, he knows you like it so enquire politely each visit on it's current wellbeing and happiness and then hit him with an offer he can't refuse and take his baby home with you Mwah ha ha ha ha
    I just cannot stand to see a grown man cry though - especially me!

Go on admit it, you suffer from 'Airsporteritis' too don't you - I can tell and I cannot even see the glazed eyes!

Brexit!
    ASM

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    God bless you Bro!

Brexit!
    ASM

I just cannot stand to see a grown man cry though - especially me!

Go on admit it, you suffer from 'Airsporteritis' too don't you - I can tell and I cannot even see the glazed eyes!

Brexit!
    ASM
    Yes My name is Phil and I am an Airsporter addict....in fact I'm addicted to a lot of Beesa's. I've just got a one piece Sile stock for my MK2 airsporter,it arrived today so this weekend will see the sporter back up and running after a long hibernation since it's original 3 piece stock broke. It earned it's keep with it's original owner on a farm in Kent. I did try repairing the stock but didn't have much luck.

Yes My name is Phil and I am an Airsporter addict....in fact I'm addicted to a lot of Beesa's. I've just got a one piece Sile stock for my MK2 airsporter,it arrived today so this weekend will see the sporter back up and running after a long hibernation since it's original 3 piece stock broke. It earned it's keep with it's original owner on a farm in Kent. I did try repairing the stock but didn't have much luck.
    Well done Phil - the first step to recovery is admitting you have an Airsporter problem!
    The second, third, forth, fifth..etc...is more Airsporters!

Brexit!
    ASM

I normally loose out on the petrol and time. But that goes for any hobby! The fun is in the hunt

Well done Phil - the first step to recovery is admitting you have an Airsporter problem!
    The second, third, forth, fifth..etc...is more Airsporters!

Brexit!
    ASM
    I only have x2 a Mk2 and a Mk6 and I keep on top of my addiction by having Cadets/Majors, Meteors, Mercurys, Melins etc and Wobbley pistols

Yes the smell of a gun room, nothing like it 😃, pure nostalgia in the used section...

But the gun room in Bude Devon definitely liked his guns too much as every time I have visited it has always been closed

Fortunately i have a fix, my gun room smells of old guns and oil, nothing better.

Got a few in restoration myself and looking forward to taking then out soon...

Atb