Thread: just missed out

just missed out

someone got a bargain this morning.bsa mil pat £200 on freeads.not too far away from me either.
    Last edited by isobar; 05-06-2016 at 02:25 PM.

"Built 1940s for the armed forces according to the description."

Seller apparently doesn't know what he had and would probably be gutted to learn he could have added another 0 to the asking price!

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    "Built 1940s for the armed forces according to the description."

Seller apparently doesn't know what he had and would probably be gutted to learn he could have added another 0 to the asking price!

John
    Ad here.

Can't say I have much sympathy with a seller who can't be bothered to search Google before putting something up for sale (or having someone else do it). I wonder if the buyer knew what he was buying, and what a bargain it was?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Just a typo?

I wonder if it was a simple typo and the missing 0 was just that? Perhaps it didn't sell after all.

Carl

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    lt just goes to show there are still bargains about if you are lucky enough to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    lt just goes to show there are still bargains about if you are lucky enough to find them.
    and this would have been the only way for me to own such a rifle,i felt unlucky to miss out by a few minutes but the seller also misses out which is his misfortune,who knows perhaps he had just inherited it and wanted rid.to own a rifle like that would be a pleasure but the prices they go for puts them out of my reach normally.

Usual drill is that the vendor will have had loads of emails from hurting, frustrated and disgruntled collectors.
    Whereupon two things will happen - either he will sell it to the highest bidder, or he sells it for his original asking price
    Then everyone else goes off and licks their wounds - wild, wild with all regret and another collecting myth begins !
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    and this would have been the only way for me to own such a rifle,i felt unlucky to miss out by a few minutes but the seller also misses out which is his misfortune,who knows perhaps he had just inherited it and wanted rid.to own a rifle like that would be a pleasure but the prices they go for puts them out of my reach normally.
    l know how you feel. as l missed out on one of these a few years ago, having seen it in Airgunner mag and told he had just sold it when l rung up, but it was not such a bargain as the one you missed out on

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    I recently missed out on a Mk1 Airsporter going locally very cheap on freeads!

Brexit!
    ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

edbear2 Guest
    A bit like the .25 Imp D on Gstar a couple of years back that was £600 I seem to recall, the seller's phone went into meltdown!

I walked clockwise around a hall of tables at Malvern a couple of years ago, a friend went in the opposite direction and got the VGC complete HW55T for £70 ...life's like that!

If confronted with something with an asking price of less than a 10th of it's true value, I honestly don't know if I would feel 100% comfortable if the seller seemed a decent type who had no idea...Nice to get a bargain, but the conscience might be an issue.

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    A bit like the .25 Imp D on Gstar a couple of years back that was £600 I seem to recall, the seller's phone went into meltdown!

I walked clockwise around a hall of tables at Malvern a couple of years ago, a friend went in the opposite direction and got the VGC complete HW55T for £70 ...life's like that!

If confronted with something with an asking price of less than a 10th of it's true value, I honestly don't know if I would feel 100% comfortable if the seller seemed a decent type who had no idea...Nice to get a bargain, but the conscience might be an issue.

ATB, Ed
    i whole heartedly agree,i did speak to the seller but as a buyer was on the way i felt i had no business indicating that it seemed cheap.so i was dammed either way.had i purchased it i would have felt uncomfortable.i'm not the sort of collector that is prepared to fork out huge sums of money for my hobby but would like to have a few shots with a mil.pat..atb