Thread: The Unconcious trigger

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Theres a great resource here if you have not already seen it.
    I wouldnt like to regurgitate information, only whats been working for me... I start my first stage as soon as I see the target card as Im lowering. That way Im ready to fire immediately if the correct picture presents itself.. like previously said, sometimes this happens by itself and that is my goal.. if all my shots come automatically when everything is right, the training is paying off
    Donald

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Motored responce training

You might like to try a training technique to help develop motored responce.

Hold on aim, concentrate on sight picture, and with the trigger uncocked continualy and repeatedly take the trigger. The first objective is to demonstrate to yourself that you can take the trigger with out unduly moving the gun. If you can't, then return to just sitting, no aim, with the pistol rested in your lap, on dry or uncocked and practice the controled movement.

If you can hold reasonably still when its taken, continue, you must concentrate on the sight picture, and continue repeatedly taking the uncocked trigger, you should get 6 to 8 in sensible hold, but this time say "ten" to yourself when it is on the ten. One a hold is enough, more is better, none is back to holding and stability exercises.

The next step should happen subconsciously, continue with the cocentration on the sight picture and the same with repeated uncocked trigger takes, and say ten when it is, what will happen is you will gradually find that you will subconciously stop the repeated trigger takes and only take it on a ten. That is the brain taking over the action in responce to the sight picture. You are now on the way to a motored responce. The more work you put into it, the better the result.

Have Fun, and good shooting.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thanks for posting this Robin.

Question

, you should get 6 to 8 in sensible hold, but this time say "ten" to yourself when it is on the ten. One a hold is enough, more is better, none is back to holding and stability exercises.
    Do you mean 6 to 8 X trigger presses ?

Thanks

Dave
    Last edited by silvershooter; 10-06-2016 at 01:42 PM.
    Evo 10 Compact.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by silvershooter View Post
    Thanks for posting this Robin.

Question

Do you mean 6 to 8 X trigger presses ?

Thanks

Dave
    Yes, in a sensible hold, but don't over hold on to get that number, if 4 or 5 is comfortable do that, just hold as long as you normally would, and keep taking the trigger.

This exercise is not about the hold, its about seeing a good picture whilst taking multiple trigger takes, and ultimately developing those into motored responces when it is good picture.

I developed this technique to teach rifle shooters a motored responce, and with them there is a much steadier hold, but I have also used it with pistol shooters and the results are exactly the same.

Have Fun and good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

That is some very useful information from RobinC, Thank You.

There is also some useful information at Tenrings here.

When I first found this a while ago it seemed like information overload for a newby, but reading it again now makes good sense and shall try to work at it a lot more. The section on natural point of aim revealed to me why my habit of practicing on one 'rough' target card followed by shooting on an adjacent formal target introduces problems, and actually requires a minor adjustment to the stance. Also the section on establishing the correct grip made me realise that moving the index/trigger incurs a natural slight movement of the thumb, which is to be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    That is some very useful information from RobinC, Thank You.

There is also some useful information at Tenrings here.
    The section on natural point of aim revealed to me why my habit of practicing on one 'rough' target card followed by shooting on an adjacent formal target introduces problems, and actually requires a minor adjustment to the stance.
    That is an outstanding resource you posted, thank you.

One thing is never to shoot a "rough target". Call it a sighter and treat it with the same importance as your score target. If you don't every shot you fire on the sighter is wasted. After all the purpose is to confirm your sight setting, if you don't put the same amount of effort in to your sighters then the information you get from the exercise is of no value. Secondly, a tip I got from a Colt guide on pistol shooting, treat EVERY shot you fire as the most important shot of your life! If you don't then you might not be able to engage your brain properly when it really is the most important shot of your life! I have never fired a "throw away" shot, even plinking, every shot gets the same attention.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    ....One thing is never to shoot a "rough target". Call it a sighter and treat it with the same importance as your score target....
    Agree, yes it is a (standard) sighter card that I start with, I often get the best results on that, then it goes to pot when I move to the formal target card! Maybe I rush the shots, and may need to slow down.