Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Unconcious trigger

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by silvershooter View Post
    Thanks for posting this Robin.

Question

Do you mean 6 to 8 X trigger presses ?

Thanks

Dave
    Yes, in a sensible hold, but don't over hold on to get that number, if 4 or 5 is comfortable do that, just hold as long as you normally would, and keep taking the trigger.

This exercise is not about the hold, its about seeing a good picture whilst taking multiple trigger takes, and ultimately developing those into motored responces when it is good picture.

I developed this technique to teach rifle shooters a motored responce, and with them there is a much steadier hold, but I have also used it with pistol shooters and the results are exactly the same.

Have Fun and good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

That is some very useful information from RobinC, Thank You.

There is also some useful information at Tenrings here.

When I first found this a while ago it seemed like information overload for a newby, but reading it again now makes good sense and shall try to work at it a lot more. The section on natural point of aim revealed to me why my habit of practicing on one 'rough' target card followed by shooting on an adjacent formal target introduces problems, and actually requires a minor adjustment to the stance. Also the section on establishing the correct grip made me realise that moving the index/trigger incurs a natural slight movement of the thumb, which is to be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    That is some very useful information from RobinC, Thank You.

There is also some useful information at Tenrings here.
    The section on natural point of aim revealed to me why my habit of practicing on one 'rough' target card followed by shooting on an adjacent formal target introduces problems, and actually requires a minor adjustment to the stance.
    That is an outstanding resource you posted, thank you.

One thing is never to shoot a "rough target". Call it a sighter and treat it with the same importance as your score target. If you don't every shot you fire on the sighter is wasted. After all the purpose is to confirm your sight setting, if you don't put the same amount of effort in to your sighters then the information you get from the exercise is of no value. Secondly, a tip I got from a Colt guide on pistol shooting, treat EVERY shot you fire as the most important shot of your life! If you don't then you might not be able to engage your brain properly when it really is the most important shot of your life! I have never fired a "throw away" shot, even plinking, every shot gets the same attention.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    ....One thing is never to shoot a "rough target". Call it a sighter and treat it with the same importance as your score target....
    Agree, yes it is a (standard) sighter card that I start with, I often get the best results on that, then it goes to pot when I move to the formal target card! Maybe I rush the shots, and may need to slow down.

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?
    There is something to being in the correct mindset or flow-state. There was a documentary on it following such people as world class free climbers and other athletes. Some deep sea divers who can hold their breath for ages also enter the state. It seems to be about learning to trust your body to move as it needs to.

They used brain wave monitors in various controlled environments to try and figure out what was going on, but like most things to do with the mind and how it works it's not easily explained.

You might find the documentary on Youtube searching "flow state"
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

Quote Originally Posted by Edtwozeronine View Post
    There is something to being in the correct mindset or flow-state. There was a documentary on it following such people as world class free climbers and other athletes. Some deep sea divers who can hold their breath for ages also enter the state. It seems to be about learning to trust your body to move as it needs to.

They used brain wave monitors in various controlled environments to try and figure out what was going on, but like most things to do with the mind and how it works it's not easily explained.

You might find the documentary on Youtube searching "flow state"
    'May the Force be with you '

Shooting must be the only sport where someone can be connected to an EEG machine while performing. Several studies have shown an Alpha spike at the moment of a shot when everything comes together spontaneously resulting in a good result in experienced shooters, on the other hand self instruction during the process spoils the shot and there is no alpha.
    TM produces alpha in the brain waves synchronised over the two hemispheres.

Alpha is characterised by 'restful alertness'.

There is a great explanation here:-

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...scle-activity/
    Evo 10 Compact.

BigEars Guest
    It's also useful to note that the brain's interpretation of visual signal lags about 0.5 seconds behind reality. So a conscious aimed shot will almost inevitably go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
    It's also useful to note that the brain's interpretation of visual signal lags about 0.5 seconds behind reality. So a conscious aimed shot will almost inevitably go wrong.
    Not if you use the force
    Donald

Half a bloody second!? Are you sure it's not .05 or .005 of a second?

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Half a bloody second!? Are you sure it's not .05 or .005 of a second?
    I think 0.5 secs is what I read, I'm very fussy about decimal points.

Just seen an article quoting 0.18 sec, still surprisingly long.
    Last edited by BigEars; 13-06-2016 at 10:23 AM.

My current shooting project is to improve my 10m pistol performance with a view to entering some comps without making an arse of myself.

I get my best shots when the trigger releases and i have a feeling of "oh I didn't expect that". Best results seem to be when I concentrate least on the trigger. How do others clear their heads to make this happen more often?

I had a really bad habit of pulling upwards when squeezing the trigger causing me flyers and lowering my score
    So I have been working on trying not to move my hand at all until I have released the trigger and heard the thud of the pellet on the target