Thread: Colt SAA Peacemaker Pellet Version New Accuracy Test..

Colt SAA Peacemaker Pellet Version New Accuracy Test..

Hi guys,

Well i could not go to gun club last night as the roads were blocked off, :badred: maybe filming or something was going on, as that happens a lot here in brighton..

Any ways today i thought i would have another shoot of my new pellet Colt SAA Peacemaker, i thought i would give it a good test tonight and test out a few different types of pellet and do a shot count per co2 as well..

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...c/DSCN1847.jpg

What i did was shot semi rested at 6 yards, and tested each pellet type 10 times, so 6 shot groups 10 times on each type of pellet, then i picked out the 3 best groupings..
    Baring in mind my shooting tests are not fully rested human factor will still effect the results but it will still show me how the gun performs and what pellets it prefers..

First i tested Air Arms Diabolo Field domed 8.4grain, The SAA seemed to like these pellets the least, giving me around just over 1.5'' to 1'' groupings, but i seemed to get more fliers with these as well, now AA are good pellets so its not the quality of the pellet that was the issue, so it was down to the rifling not preferring them and of course me, the slightest movement with these sights puts your aiming off..

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...c/DSCN1848.jpg

Next up i tried RWS Co2 target wadcutter 7.2grain pellets, (a side not i use this pellets in my umarex beretta 92fs and walther lever action and get outstanding results, i think this are great quality pellets) As you can see the Colt SAA performed quite well with these, on these 3 targets i did get one flier in each group but to be honest its just as likely to be me then the gun or pellet, these pellets were giving me on average of 1.3'' to just under 1'' Groupings. If you dont count the flier all under 1'' groupings..

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...c/DSCN1838.jpg

Last up then i used JSB Match Diabolo Exact domed 8.4grain pellets, the gun seemed to quite like these pellets too, some grouping seems to be quite a bit better then others but im putting that down to me not the pellet or the gun, these pellets were giving me grouping between 1.3'' to 1'' and under, if you dont count the flier in the grouping was just over 1/2'' and as you can see i got one great grouping, such a shame it was a bit low off centre or it would have been a cracking target..

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...c/DSCN1841.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...c/DSCN1842.jpg

Because of the results i got im either going to use the RWS co2 target pellets which im leaning more towards to be honest then my pellet guns are all using the same pellets with would be good for ease and because this gun is a plinker not really a target shooter, but also price, i get the RWS co2 target pellets for £5 a tin, and the JSB Exacts cost me £9. but strangely enough the domed pellets seemed to be getting me better punch holes in the paper targets, so i might just use JSB in the SAA as it will not cost that much to run and the SAA's get looked at more then i use them as i have other go to guns.. We will see, i just wanted to share my results with you..

Shot count was quite good, i was getting on average of 14 - 15 cylinder refills per co2 capsule so around 84 to 90 good usable shots.. The average FPS using 7.2grain pellets was 370fps..
    All in all i am happy enough with the guns performance, as the BB one did, this pellet version will make a good plinking revolver. Also doing the odd UBC shooting competitions..

Happy Shooting..
    ATB, Marc..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Nice one Marc! Very informative and good shooting. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

AA field and JSB exact are the same pellet Marc ?
    My theory is that pellet tests are always better at the end of your run as you and the gun are in the groove.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    My theory is that pellet tests are always better at the end of your run as you and the gun are in the groove.
    AA field are made by JSB but are the selected batches by Air Arms. Different batches often and do shoot completely differently. Having said that most of the JSB 2016 batches seem to be very good of the 6 different dies I have tested.
    BASC

Hi guys thanks for the comments.
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Hi mate, yes and no. The are made in the same factory as Dean C said..

The JSB exacts i was using for example are slightly different in design then the AA field i was using, the JSB exacts are ever so slightly longer, they have a slightly wider skirt, and the skirt is also partially filled unlike the AA field im using which are more hollow.

Pellet on the left is the AA Field and on the right is the JSB exact..

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...c/DSCN1850.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...c/DSCN1851.jpg

I also did the accuracy test again today, once again tested each pellet type 10 times, so 10 times 6 shot groupings but this time used the pellets in different order, the RWS co2 target pellets first, then the JSB exacts, then the AA field, but got the same results, the JSB performed slightly better then the RWS co2 target and the AA field performed the least well again..

So i think what i will do with this gun is just stick with the JSB exacts, i know they are expensive but for how often i will use the gun it will not work out too bad.

Happy Shooting All..

A good test and very informative, thanks for the information, nice pistol too
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction!

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    A good test and very informative, thanks for the information, nice pistol too
    Thank you mate, I do love this gun, lol I'm trying hard not to sell another gun and buy the blued version as well..
    ATB Marc