Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reloading advics please help

reloading advics please help

I have brought a three post lee loading machine and looking at loading for my 223 with a 1in8 twist any advise please

69gr Sierra Matchking.
    about ~24gr of N140
    Lapua brass
    COL to match your rifle

Dies to match your budget. Lee work perfectly well. RCBS, Forster, etc cost more and are very nice.

And if going beyond 300 yards try the 77gr matchking.

What are you using the rifle for?
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Buy a manual. Read the front section before looking at load data...

Post 2 is a good starting point
    Big Ears AKA BE.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    69gr Sierra Matchking.
    about ~24gr of N140
    Lapua brass
    COL to match your rifle

Dies to match your budget. Lee work perfectly well. RCBS, Forster, etc cost more and are very nice.

And if going beyond 300 yards try the 77gr matchking.
    Pretty much says it all.

Just to add:
    69SMK/77SMK - not a lot to chose between them cost wise or on the range out to about 300 and the 77s will go to 600+ a bit easier than the 69s so pick one and keep it for all distances. If you are feeding from a magazine the Sierras don't mind a jump to the rifling so load mag-length, otherwise load for your chamber. If you want to get out to 1000yds then I would recommend the 80JLKs over the 80SMKs, they just seem to stay supersonic all the way whereas the SMKs lose it about 900yds in my rifles (there are other heavier bullets out there - just not tried them all).

About 24-24.5gn of most of the suitable powders will be the ballpark figure.

If you are going hunting then any of the lighter bullets from 40-55gn (to fit your quarry) should suit.

The .223Rem seems to be a very forgiving round to load. Competition shooters I know have used all sorts of components and managed to get very good results. Cases from Lapua to reclaimed MilSurp, bullets and powders from many different manufacturers and every type and make of SR primer going, with a bit of development it still seem to be able to hit the mark.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by foxermoggy558 View Post
    I have brought a three post lee loading machine and looking at loading for my 223 with a 1in8 twist any advise please

with your purchase I'd buy "The ABC's of reloading" for about £13 which is a great starter and reference book that will put you on the right track or, if someone lives close to you perhaps they could give you a little practical demonstration of how to reload. Its helps a lot, trust me. good luck
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

"The grass is always greener on the other side"

thank you guys very helpfull the advice was excellent

Quote Originally Posted by simgre View Post
    Buy a manual. Read the front section before looking at load data...
    to all the guys that gave there advice thank you got a manual and all seems good at moment ,

good man - my final advice is to keep good records (just a a5 book ) of what you've done....how loads have worked, i even keep the targets to look at groups later.....i write down the powder weight, bullet, brass age , whether ive full lengthened or neck size, bullet weight, primer type and COL just so it gets engrained into my mind. Keep up the good work
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

I agree with most of the recomendations, with a 69 grain matchking and 24.0 of n140 i can manage 5 shot groups at 50 metres of .25". That is using my rem 700 with a 20" varmint barrel with 1 in 8 twist.

1:8 twist means the world is your lobster,

I have the same in a 20" barrel ...

I hunt with 53g vmax pushing 3150 fps

& use 52g Amax for everything else, similar fps

I have & used to run 55g but don't bother as the 53's are much better in the wind

Good luck !
    Rem700 6.5 Creedmoor XLR Envy - Rem700 .20 prac XLR Element
    CZ527 .17 Hornet AICS - Anschutz 1417 .22lr

thank you guys very helpfull the advice was excellent

have any of you guys had any problems with the sako 85 not ejecting properly and if so do you know how this can be sorted ,mines gone back to gmk awaiting the out come ,cheers

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    have any of you guys had any problems with the sako 85 not ejecting properly and if so do you know how this can be sorted ,mines gone back to gmk awaiting the out come ,cheers
    Extracting or just ejecting?
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Were none of the replies to your post of 14th June of any help to you?

Please let us know what the outcome is when GMK return your rifle.