Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red dot sights and air rifles

Red dot sights and air rifles

Hello,

I have seen some references to the use of red dot sights on air rifles on different sites and am aware that Diana make such a device and sell it for use on pistols and rifles, but does anyone actually have experience of them in practice? Is there any real use for them on air rifles?

I understand they are not magnified which would be a real issue for me with my 66 year old eyes and bi-focals which means that any target beyond about 20-25 yards is pretty safe from me with an open sight, even with my 10M target rifles.

Jim

Garibaldi, Victoria, Australia

Dot sights are great on air rifles, but - like opens - your eyesight will be the limiting factor...

I use the hawke rd30 on my mk5 . 22 meteor, zeroed at 10yds, for close quarter pest control. Excellent product and ideal for the job. Out to 25 yds very accurate for target shooting /plinking.I also use a reflex red dot on my alecto from cv life. Again it's an excellent product and definitely Gives fast target acquisition.

Thank you both for your assistance.

countryboy I looked for the cl life sight on the internet and found a couple of models that are physically similar, but with different types of reticle patterns. [Which reticle model is yours?] When searching locally I found a physically similar Barska model with four reticles, e.g. http://www.ozscopes.com.au/barska-el...cle-sight.html

I assume that in the modern corporate world of international production most of these things are made in China, Japan or Taiwan and are marketed under various labels?????

I must have a look at one of these for my HW57 in .22. It's never going to be powerhouse, long range shooter, but is lovely to shoot and very accurate.

thank you,

Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by NTSOG View Post

countryboy I looked for the cl life sight on the internet and found a couple of models that are physically similar, but with different types of reticle patterns. [Which reticle model is yours?] When searching locally I found a physically similar Barska model with four reticles, e.g. http://www.ozscopes.com.au/barska-el...cle-sight.html

I assume that in the modern corporate world of international production most of these things are made in China, Japan or Taiwan and are marketed under various labels?????

I must have a look at one of these for my HW57 in .22. It's never going to be powerhouse, long range shooter, but is lovely to shoot and very accurate.

thank you,

Jim.
    The model I have is the rd 400, which has multi reticle available, but I only use the red dot, which you can choose red or green for day or night/low light. And it has the aluminium body. Very well made product for under 20 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by NTSOG View Post

thank you,

Jim.
    I had a crossman sight of similar design fitted to a Gamo pistol but found it utterly hopeless as the muzzle could be rotated in a 2" circle while the dot was visible & appeared central.

not a good idea if you were specs.
    tried it and the dots just reflect back to the specs.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I've always fancied a 6x Acog for pigeon roost shooting!
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by max headroom View Post
    not a good idea if you were specs.
    tried it and the dots just reflect back to the specs.
    I wear specs and have never had that problem. Have had plenty of dot sights varying from the old Webley Speed Point (rubbish) to a proper Swedish M68 Aimpoint (definitely not rubbish).

Thank you all for your comments.

Max H. I will keep in mind the possibility of interference with/from my spectacles and go and try a sight at my local gunshop.

As for the 6x Acog Murphy, that would appear to be better mounted on a military grade .50 calibre rifle, than a light weight air rifle for close range pigeon shooting! You would certainly do maximum damage to the pigeons though, not to mention the surrounding countryside! I guess the pigeons would be well plucked after impact!

Jim

Interesting topic, all the red dot scopes I've used in life seem to cover to much to shoot tight groups. Can you buy one that is only 1moa!

Most I can find are 3-5 or even 6 moa. That covers to much of the target for me. If 1moa is available then it would seem that 1/4" at 25 yards is still big but entirely usable. I have a webley Alecto that would love this type of sight!

Quote Originally Posted by JJHACK View Post
    Interesting topic, all the red dot scopes I've used in life seem to cover to much to shoot tight groups. Can you buy one that is only 1moa!

Most I can find are 3-5 or even 6 moa. That covers to much of the target for me. If 1moa is available then it would seem that 1/4" at 25 yards is still big but entirely usable. I have a webley Alecto that would love this type of sight!
    To be fair to the sighting system they aren't really designed for shooting tight groups they are meant for rapid target acquisition and getting shots onto target.

With practice though they can give very good results. I find the sights that have 2-3 MOA dots are very useable.

One of the biggest things I find is that the dot should be crisp and well defined, a lot of the cheap end red dot sights are more red splodge than a dot.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Red dots

Have tried two, one was a two stage bright for daytime, but dim for night, open tube so could shoot with left eye closed, found it easy to accquire targets, other was OEG, made by Webley, needed both eyes open and enough light to illuminate dot, cleverly gave small dot when close to eye on rifle, but dot appeared to increase in size when further away on pistol. Found it difficult to judge range and holdover compared to scope, but if used in ambush from known range worked well. IMHO. David

Many of the difficulties that people have with such sights, are due to the dot being too bright - simply turn the intensity down a bit...

one more thing to remember. some people think of red dot as lazer. it aint.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.