Thread: Just how good is the Webly Alecto

Just how good is the Webly Alecto

I would like to have this in .22

Not too common here in RSA or the states. Power seems high for a pistol, and being pneumatic no Springer recoil issues. However it's a bit spendy and wonder about quality and longevity with it being somewhat uncommon.

I had one on my hands a while back and thought is was quite large, and the open sights were not spectacular. However that power level and no recoil is impressive. I suppose a holographic or red dot sight would solve the sighing issues anyway for my aging eyesight.

That Good!
    I have an extended barrel version in .177 and a .22, the .177 gives my HW75 a run for the money, good quality, love them both, Only Two pumps req.!
    Baikal MP654 MP53M IZH-46M LP53 CP88comp Alecto .177 LB, .22 Tempest .177, .22 Cr 2240 Weih HW45 HW45BS HW70 HW75 XSP180 Cometa Indian Hatsan25 Scorp MKII Benj Trail NP AVOKE Diana P5 Avanti747 * PLUS Over 70, Co2 BB/Pellet Pistols*

I have had two, one in .177 and one in .22.

As said two pumps is plenty, three pumps is too much effort for little return. I found that a single pump was good for 6 yard target and very easy compared to other SSPs, and the cocking action is rather nice (the sound as the over lever snaps closed). The over trigger safety works very well.

It is quite large, but it is not heavy so you quickly get used to the size; it soon settles into the hand.

Like other SSPs you can dry fire the pistol by just cocking the trigger (by partially lifting the over lever).

The trigger can be set to a very nice feel, having two I realized that one was set up much better than the other, so I set them both the same. I found the trigger to be a little unusual in that it would always take a couple of shots to get a consistent feel (first few shots feel different on both pistols). This was not an issue, and having seen inside the trigger mechanism I can understand why this might occur.

The (wide) top rail would accommodate a holographic or red dot sight but might get in the way when cocking the pistol. A mini laser can be fitter to the lower rail for a change from the open sights and does not get in the way.

The Mk 3 has a threaded barrel for a silencer adapter (custom Webley part), on which a silencer can but screwed on.

It is quite costly new, and should be noted that (unlike most other SSPs), individual seals are not available. If the main valve assembly develops a fault, the only option seems to be to buy the entire valve assembly...at a cost of £120 plus post last time I looked Some folk have attempted to replace individual seals with mixed success (guess the triple action valve is complicated and under high pressure). If you buy new with a warranty, then you should get at least a year use from the pistol, and hopefully a good deal more. I would avoid three pumps to prolong the longevity of the seals.

Not sure if your already aware but the Webley is just a rebadge of this, but with less power. Given your location its possible the Atakarms Zoraki is available, its more powerful and could possibly cheaper.

This version is can be given an extra pump to produce over 12 Joules of power (225 m/s). I imagine this would be hard work, as mentioned above two pumps should suffice.

http://atakarms.com/default.html?bL=...460699&l=lang1

Highly recommend the Swift Stumpy moderator, its very effective and narrow in diameter so not to impede the line of the open sights. I fitted a red dot too which I think suits the gun well.
    Last edited by capt hindsight; 10-09-2016 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Moddy

I've had a .22 version for a few years.

Many people say it is a great pistol. I don't.

I guess it depends upon why you want one. I have a full set of Webley pistols and just love firing them for the sheer fun of doing so. I'll admit it - I am a plinker and have no axe to grind about target accuracy per se although I do like to target shoot in my own range (ok so it's my garage).

I have two Nemesis (Nemeses?) pistols which I far prefer. A simple one pump action and accurate. Comfortable to hold, you can flip from left to right hand and the weight feels good to me.

The Alecto feels a bit clumsy in both right and left-handed versions (I am an ambidextrous leftie) to me. It is very plasticky and needs two pumps the second of which is too stiff. It is accurate enough, like many, but feels a bit "cheap" and not really worth the money when new. If they sold new for about £120 then yes. £200+? No far too much.

So from me - an OK pistol but nothing to write home about.
    Last edited by PaulR; 10-09-2016 at 06:29 PM.

I have a Zoraki version in .177 and love it. Comfortable to hold and shoot. Cocking it once will give just under 120 metres per second which is great for 10m pistol comps. Also worth a look is the HW40 or P17 if 10m discipline is what your after at an affordable price.

we let Alecto

I had an Alecto in 1.77 for a while and was initially impressed, It was a real handful (big)! Could accommodate toys, powerful and pneumatic so no recoil. I had read reviews of the internals being made of "pot metal"! and started to get a little concerned waiting for something to go wrong. I didn't have to wait too long., after about 200 pellets it developed a leak and had to be returned to Highland Outdoors for repair. When it came back it was still leaking so took it back to the red for an exchange. Sadly they didn't have any HW45 Silver Stars available so took a nickel CP88 Competition in exchange. I miss the Alecto power but not the unreliability or muzzle flip. Shame because I did like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball50 View Post
    I had an Alecto in 1.77 for a while and was initially impressed, It was a real handful (big)! Could accommodate toys, powerful and pneumatic so no recoil. I had read reviews of the internals being made of "pot metal"! and started to get a little concerned waiting for something to go wrong. I didn't have to wait too long., after about 200 pellets it developed a leak and had to be returned to Highland Outdoors for repair. When it came back it was still leaking so took it back to the red for an exchange. Sadly they didn't have any HW45 Silver Stars available so took a nickel CP88 Competition in exchange. I miss the Alecto power but not the unreliability or muzzle flip. Shame because I did like it.
    I think that the .177 versions are better, but at nearly 45MM calibre and 6FPE you are bound to have problems.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich