Thread: Are there any pistol brace designs around for match air pistols?

Are there any pistol brace designs around for match air pistols?

Well as the title explains sort of, I've been after a match style pistol ever since I got my Hammerli CR20 but being left handed causes a major issue in this elite group of pistols as there are virtually no left handed pistols unless you want to pay 200 to get a walnut set, I guess that's okay for the guys who shell out 1.800 for a Styr etc.. but not for me when I plan to spend less than I did for the rifle (550). With Rohm out of business I gave up until I saw this great fully ambidextrous Hammerli AP20 going for 400 with a bunch of extras that together with the pistol would normally set you back 1000! Tidy, so I jumped on it. I overlooked one small but rather important issue though, not the air supply as I'll get a 3 stage pump for 60 to 80 but the fact that I can't shoot single handed!!! .
    I'm so used to shooting pistols double handed that I completely forgot about my left arm having a physiological tremor as my doctor put it 20 years ago and it's grown worse since. Now the logical thing to do would be to shoot right handed but I'm a stubborn fool who doesn't want to change his ways so I'm looking into some kind of brace for the pistol to help control the shaking. There's naught on the net except for the whole Sig Sauer AR brace fiasco in the USA and some stupidly expensive bench rest supports.
    I'm thinking along the lines of the old Barnett Black Widow slingshots or like their Diablo Pro that have an arm brace. Perhaps I could pick up a knock off (7 quid) grind the handle down to a post (after removing the whole top firing system) and slide it into the hole in the pistol's grip and see if that works.
    Any info on pistol braces would be great! I know they're out there as I saw them years ago in a gunshop, something to do with legal overall length to be able to shoot a RS pistol over here after the ban.

Cheers!

Ive found this website to be a good resource for match rifle and pistol spares. Ive not personally used them but they have a vast array of stuff to look at, including lots of second hand lefty grips

http://www.druckluftwaffenonline.de/zubehoer.htm
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Ive found this website to be a good resource for match rifle and pistol spares. Ive not personally used them but they have a vast array of stuff to look at, including lots of second hand lefty grips

http://www.druckluftwaffenonline.de/zubehoer.htm
    A very useful link thank you! Any idea about a pistol brace though? Cheers!

Sorry, my only input here would be for you to remove the right hand grip and have some kind of steel plate cut to shape with a rod attached, coming back, like you describe, a la black widow catapult.
    Alternatively maybe some kind of archery wrist guard may give you extra stability. Possibly a custom made one which supports the wrist?
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Sorry, my only input here would be for you to remove the right hand grip and have some kind of steel plate cut to shape with a rod attached, coming back, like you describe, a la black widow catapult.
    Alternatively maybe some kind of archery wrist guard may give you extra stability. Possibly a custom made one which supports the wrist?
    Great minds think alike! I actually do archery too for fun and have a load of bows and forearm braces, one even goes up past my elbow onto my bicep which would be a possible addition to the Black Widow support if needed. Sorry forgot to include pictures as the AP20 has a very unique pistol grip.

A friend on UBC just linked me to this Glock brace that looks perfect, provided I can use it left handed:

Paul55 wrote:

I wonder if this could be adapted for your needs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsxqU2Avxyg

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    I apolagise if I'm missing the point, but why the brace? Does it not defeat the object of pistol shooting. You are nearly reinventing a rifle!

You will not be allowed to use the support in any competition, so if its just for fun then why not just shoot two handed, and also not be eligable for match competition.

Or there is the oportunity to shoot competively with a match pistol in the now very popular event in Europe for seniors, the rested event. Why not shoot the rested event? The MPL now runs a league for this event here in the UK with the blessing of the NSRA, shot standing (or sitting depending on age or afirmity) with the bottom of the pistol grip rested on a 50 mm dia bar.

Contact Zooma on here who runs the league and he will expand on the rules, his league is a trial, and there is talk of a class for the event at the British championships.

Have Fun and good shooting.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I apolagise if I'm missing the point, but why the brace? Does it not defeat the object of pistol shooting. You are nearly reinventing a rifle!

You will not be allowed to use the support in any competition, so if its just for fun then why not just shoot two handed, and also not be eligable for match competition.

Or there is the oportunity to shoot competively with a match pistol in the now very popular event in Europe for seniors, the rested event. Why not shoot the rested event? The MPL now runs a league for this event here in the UK with the blessing of the NSRA, shot standing (or sitting depending on age or afirmity) with the bottom of the pistol grip rested on a 50 mm dia bar.

Contact Zooma on here who runs the league and he will expand on the rules, his league is a trial, and there is talk of a class for the event at the British championships.

Have Fun and good shooting.
    Er... Because I would like to be able to shoot single handed, unrested and my tremor (the shakes) is a disability not age related, I am also agoraphobic so have no desires to shoot competitively but UBC have fun on line competitions where I would have my score highlighted in blue to show a disabled assist being used. Get back to me when your shooting arm goes to bits.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Er... Because I would like to be able to shoot single handed, unrested and my tremor (the shakes) is a disability not age related, I am also agoraphobic so have no desires to shoot competitively but UBC have fun on line competitions where I would have my score highlighted in blue to show a disabled assist being used. Get back to me when your shooting arm goes to bits.
    OK, that explains it, as some one who spends a lot of my time coaching and helping shooters, and as a pistol shooter who does not shoot any more due to severe rheumatism and was trying to help you I don't think the last nasty comment was neccessary.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

OK, that explains it, as some one who spends a lot of my time coaching and helping shooters, and as a pistol shooter who does not shoot any more due to severe rheumatism and was trying to help you I don't think the last nasty comment was neccessary.
    My apologies, you must know how frustrating it is to slowly lose your ability to shoot properly anymore and have perfectly healthy shooters question your every need to improvise so you can continue to shoot, I mistakenly thought your frankness was coming from a younger over "enthusiastic" shooter who had not read my post properly. It was not intended to be nasty but rather assuming (wrongly as it turns out) that you didn't understand the complications with losing your ability to shoot and that if you were unlucky you would come to understand my dilemma. I was not wishing ill will but making a frustrated blunt statement.
    Last edited by shovelchop81; 22-06-2016 at 12:10 PM.

I fully understand your frustration and thank you for your apology. I have coached disabled shooters and If I can help in any way I will, I wish you well, don't give up, and please enjoy your shooting.
    Have Fun and Good shooting
    Robin

I fully understand your frustration and thank you for your apology. I have coached disabled shooters and If I can help in any way I will, I wish you well, don't give up, and please enjoy your shooting.
    Have Fun and Good shooting
    Robin
    Thank you very much for the kind wishes, sorry again about the misunderstanding, always seems to happen on forums!