Thread: PR 45 - Is it too earlier to be classed as collectable?

Question Gamo PR 45 - Is it too early to be classed as collectable?

I was offered a Gamo PR45 the other day; my first plastic air pistol.
    Normally I steer clear of anything that isn't made of wood and steel but this pistol was fun to shoot, easy to cock and cost loose change.
    It is quiet, so plinking without alerting the neighbours also appeals.
    It is shooting 360fps with lightish pellets but accuracy is a haphazard affair without the rear sight. For what it is and until I find one, a piece of aluminium will do the trick.
    Questions. When were these first manufactured and do they have particular failings to be aware of?

signing out for the evening to attend remedial English refersher class
    Last edited by slow_runner; 21-06-2016 at 09:25 AM.

Thumbs up

No complaints from the throng? I assume that they are well regarded then?
    I left it cocked for the last 5 days and it's all good at a mean 335fps over 8 shots with only a 2-3fps variation. The previous reading was a one shot from a string, the rest were showing as error. We sorted that problem by removing the diffuser shields today.
    I expect that I'll keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    No complaints from the throng? I assume that they are well regarded then?
    I left it cocked for the last 5 days and it's all good at a mean 335fps over 8 shots with only a 2-3fps variation. The previous reading was a one shot from a string, the rest were showing as error. We sorted that problem by removing the diffuser shields today.
    I expect that I'll keep it.
    I always found my PR45 to be very accurate and allround good cheapish gun. Mine is in bits now after the plastic grips cracked all over but that was my fault! I used to hold very firmly (crush grip) and guess what, I crushed the grips!!! I now use a very light grip with all my guns. Then the valve spring bust. I cobbled up a fix for that but it went again. The trigger was always its letdown, being sticky. Its plastic against metal sear didn't do it any favors. The grips eventually were beyond repair so gave up on it. Shame, because as I said, for the money and If Id treated it better I'd still be using it. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    I always found my PR45 to be very accurate and allround good cheapish gun. Mine is in bits now after the plastic grips cracked all over but that was my fault! I used to hold very firmly (crush grip) and guess what, I crushed the grips!!! I now use a very light grip with all my guns. Then the valve spring bust. I cobbled up a fix for that but it went again. The trigger was always its letdown, being sticky. Its plastic against metal sear didn't do it any favors. The grips eventually were beyond repair so gave up on it. Shame, because as I said, for the money and If Id treated it better I'd still be using it. ATB. Pete.
    Hi Pete. In the short time that I have had this pistol it has really grown on me. Compared to my springer pistols it is a doddle and really too easy to use,
    Then again, sometimes it is a pleasure to have a few hours cruise with a lightweight piece.

A shame about yours Pete, you must have a vice like grip. I will have a look-see at the sear for signs of wear in mine.
    If you are contemplating scrapping yours, I am in the market for a rear sight
    Just waiting on a reply from Chambers.
    ATB

I had one back in the 90s. Very accurate once I got used to the water pistol-esque trigger!

My wife loved it. She used to like blasting cherry tomatoes at 10m.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Hi Pete. In the short time that I have had this pistol it has really grown on me. Compared to my springer pistols it is a doddle and really too easy to use,
    Then again, sometimes it is a pleasure to have a few hours cruise with a lightweight piece.

A shame about yours Pete, you must have a vice like grip. I will have a look-see at the sear for signs of wear in mine.
    If you are contemplating scrapping yours, I am in the market for a rear sight
    Just waiting on a reply from Chambers.
    ATB
    I did grip way too tight but have seen the light lol. Keeping it for spare parts myself. You never know what will come in handy. Good luck with yours and keep the grip light. It causes less deflection through torque. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    I did grip way too tight but have seen the light lol. Keeping it for spare parts myself. You never know what will come in handy. Good luck with yours and keep the grip light. It causes less deflection through torque. ATB. Pete.
    Hi Pete, very pleased to know that you have modified the hold technique. Spares can be helpful, I have boxes of 'useful' stuff in the shed that plague me whenever I go in search of