Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen this..... 11589 air rifles handed in in Scotland!!

500000 in circulation
    11000 handed in (2%)
    182 crimes firearms last year - c.90 involved an air gun
    1 toddler killed 11 years ago.

Chief Constable Phil Gormley hailed the response to the three week campaign as "fantastic".

Scottish Justice Secretary Michael Matheson said the response to the amnesty was "extremely encouraging".
    "The new licensing regime is not a ban on air weapons but a means of ensuring people can use air weapons in a regulated way without compromising public safety," he said.

Yes because before everyone was wandering around the streets shooting eachother wondering why there isn't a licence.

Dear Mr Matheson,

How is a piece of paper going to prevent an unlicensed air rifle from killing a toddler?

Yours sincerely,

You are an idiot.
    Last edited by Zomboid; 21-06-2016 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I wonder how many irreplaceable collector pieces are in amongst the Chinese stuff
    Old airsporter on top and an old bsa pattern job ...Probably all sorts in there .What a waste.
    Last edited by greenman; 21-06-2016 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    They wont get mine, i find it hard to believe the scots just rolled over and let this happen, if they all refused to hand them in what would they do arrest every one?
    They are too tight to pay the licence fee and put the system under so much pressure so it collapses and they give up. That is gist of it.
    Pesronally , I have no problem with licecing if the aim is to know who has guns and make the security a bit tighter but knowing the authorities hunger for power and dictatorship, they would put phrases such as the itended use of the gun and all that nonesense for qualification. I am sure a criminal is going to be swayed from his sordid affair by the mention of the word licence. Which world do these guys live in?

A.G

If you want to get some of them, place an ad in the local Scottish papers. Our club has been inundated with people trying to offload them!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

And still people vote for them.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Lesser of the evils methinks!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

If the crackpot law wasn't in place you would have nothing to fear.
    I agree, but I was giving the reason why most people will go along with the law.

I wonder how many personal tales and fine memories some of these lovely old rifles could tell of?

Okay, some may have been owned by some scroaty types, with no real interest or passion of Airguns or our sport. But some may have been previously owned by caring, enthusiast owners.

For those wanting to despose of their rifles and not apply for a licence, could some body (dealer or otherwise) not offer to buy them, arrange multiple collections on the same day and bring them over here for re-distribution / re-use?

Such a sad waste.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Not me mate, I would throw myself off a cliff first.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Quote Originally Posted by geordiejohn View Post
    I agree, but I was giving the reason why most people will go along with the law.
    Point taken.

?

Could they be kept if they are disabled in some way so not a working rifle ??
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Before this ridiculous law was brought in what was happening in Scotland, was it like the wild west or something, people getting shot all over the place by air guns, they'll be licensing the butter knife next, by the time these people have done we will all be just sat at home wrapped in cotton wool when not at work, public gatherings will be banned, no pubs no working mens clubs, no nowt,well at least we can watch all the rabbits and rats not the red squirrel's though as they will die out as they out of control greys take over, out of our windows, what about crossbows? can't wait to reach this new utopia, not..
    Bar code on back of neck next
    basicly ,a junkie shot and killed another junkies child while trying to hit said junkies brother watching firemen fight a fire.

a child died and tommy "the shagger" sheridan rallied the troops to ban airguns. the yesnp then jumped on it and you now have what is called the "air weapon license"

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    basicly ,a junkie shot and killed another junkies child while trying to hit said junkies brother watching firemen fight a fire.

a child died and tommy "the shagger" sheridan rallied the troops to ban airguns. the yesnp then jumped on it and you now have what is called the "air weapon license"
    Yes, that's about the way I heard it.

We had a 'Gun amnesty' in Worcestershire a couple of years back (Supposedly for firearms), & when the local paper printed a picture of the 'n' hundred 'illegal' guns handed in - most seemed to be collectable airguns or historical stuff. I have no doubt all the local criminals handed in their weapons...
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    I'm crap at maths but here goes....an estimated Half a Million Air Guns in Scotland and there were aprox 90 incidents/criminal acts in 2013/14 so there's an amnesty partly as a result. My knowledge of Football is as sketchy as my knowledge of Maths but there can only be just a few Footballs being used in all matches going on but there has been all this trouble and fighting. I don't know the percentages but it's clear to see that there needs to be an amnesty where people get to hand footballs in and it should be open to tennis balls, basketballs and ping pong balls too just incase.
    No Airguns,no shooting incidents....No Footballs,no football hooligans and fighting etc and it would stop a dam sight more than a pissy 90 incidents a year!!! Clearly my comments are tongue in cheek but what kind of Wally thinks that 11,000 rifles handed in out of 500,000 is a result, the fact they were handed in at all shows they were handed in by law fearing people so by definition not the sort that are likely to have broken the law with them in the first place.

im sure there was 58 airgun related crimes last year in scotland.yet this farce has been rushed through.
    Figures passed to UK Shooting News reveal that 58 people were found guilty of airgun offences in Scotland in the year 2014-15.

The figures, obtained by a constituent from an SNP member of the Scottish parliament, also reveal the full number of airgun offences committed by those eight people in Scotland over that period.

It was 58. Seven of the recorded offences were contrary to section 21, which bans the possession of firearms and airguns by those previously convicted of a criminal offence.

Of the remaining 51 offences, 19 were charges brought under section 19 of the Firearms Act 1968, which makes it a crime to carry a loaded shotgun, or any firearm or airgun, in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse.

One was contrary to section 21A, which makes it a crime to fire a missile beyond the boundaries of the land you have permission to shoot over, while another was contrary to section 22, which creates various possession-related criminal offences for U18s.

The figures reveal that airgun crime in Scotland is vanishingly low and existing laws appear more than adequate to tackle any perceived problem – just 0.0001% of Scotland’s population committed an airgun crime last year – judging by the breadth of offences set out in the table below.

scottish airgun crime stats 2014-15

yet 524 in the west midlands alone. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ai...IfTS8AfizYG4CA
    Last edited by bighit; 21-06-2016 at 08:47 PM.