Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch HW 57 - Anyone Got One - Thoughts please

Weihrauch HW 57 - Anyone Got One - Thoughts please

Juts trying to find out a bit more about this little mentioned rifle and see if anyone has experience of them and if so was it good or bad.

On 1st seeing it I wondered if it was a "Poor man's under lever" as it's quite a bit less that most of them, it seems to be the lightest of all the under levers which has it's advantages as most are quite heavy.

Guess I mainly wondered if the "pop up" loading port was a complete faff / gimmick and if pellets regularly get damaged / fall out or if it was the ultimate solution as you're not sticking your fingers into something that could easily remove them for you if there was a failure.

The ultimate question is how accurate .... or are you just better off with a decent break barrel at this entry point instead??

Some love em, some hate em.

I have no experience of them, but I have been tempted on occasion.

I would guess 22 would be the best calibre to try.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Some love em, some hate em.
    Guess we should call it "The Marmite" gun then

As long as you remember to close the port properly after loading, and you choose a scope that doesn't obstruct, it's a great little gun, ideal for anyone who may have trouble loading a normal underlever. Nice and light and the usual hw accuracy. Years ago they had issueswith seals but that issue has been well addressed. Nicely balanced and certainly in. 22 , very smooth action and firing cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    As long as you remember to close the port properly after loading, and you choose a scope that doesn't obstruct, it's a great little gun, ideal for anyone who may have trouble loading a normal underlever. Nice and light and the usual hw accuracy. Years ago they had issueswith seals but that issue has been well addressed. Nicely balanced and certainly in. 22 , very smooth action and firing cycle.
    As above. There is a good review/demo on youtube to have a look at. Some people complain they are a bit noisy so not very neighbour friendly.

If you want a lightweight underlever ? not recommended here, http://www.airgunbuyer.com/details.a...les&Product=67

My farther in law bought a new one recently and he loves it. He has commented that it does twang a bit so will be getting a mild tune when its out of warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1 View Post
    If you want a lightweight underlever ? not recommended here, http://www.airgunbuyer.com/details.a...les&Product=67
    A mate of mine bought one against what everyone told him,two visits back to Hull Cartridge ,now still sits on our locals RFD Wall as a private sale, might make a Christmas saleHate marmite as well
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

A mate has one in .177 and loves it. It is a bit twangy but shoots well enough in his hands. I've tried it but wasn't keen on the pop up breech. If you accidentally leave the breach up and fire it makes a right racket too.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

HW97K .22, AA S200 mk3 .22 10 shot, '84 HW77 .22

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Had a go with one about a year ago and loved it - even though I've never been a fan of underlevers. However, I am a big fan of the HW99s and these two rifles are very closely related. If you don't like the 99s, you probably won't like the 57 - but if you're after a (comparatively) light handy underlever, it could be the gun for you. Certainly worth trying one on for size....

Ive had all hw springers over the years, had a 57 liked it but 99 much more accurate, [from the box]

Haven't owned one, but recently handled one. They are nice and light, but also very well balanced. Underlevers usually are muzzle heavy. If your looking for a light gun, which is fixed barrel, and well balanced, then the 57 is a good choice. Only downside is the wood is a bit bland.
    Current guns owned
    Walther LGU Varmint .22 with Nikko Stirling 2-7x32 AO ILL

Ive had all hw springers over the years, had a 57 liked it but 99 much more accurate, [from the box]
    I wonder why that was and of you had a not so good one ... would have though the fixed rather than break barrel would have been more accurate??

I love mine it has been tuned and shoots very smoothly even for a .177. Just like the hw99 is a lightweight version of the other HW break barrels the 57 is the lightweight version of the underlevers to me it feels like a min-77k. I was bored of the heavy tx200 and hw97's so I gave it a go and I cant fault it. Once you have got used to the pop up breach it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Funnybucker View Post
    I wonder why that was and of you had a not so good one ... would have though the fixed rather than break barrel would have been more accurate??
    Is some better than others of same model? though [thought] fixed more accurate than break try a 57 then a 99 from the box you'll have your answer.