Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: early hw99s.

early hw99s.

did the early hw99s have the galling problems?

im guessing its an early one as its not the newer style stock.

thanks in advance
    paul

I have early 99 old style stock, had it way over ten years, brought new never been stripped, about forty tins pellets through it, never had a problem with it, cocks as smooth as the day i had it, personally think galling over exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1 View Post
    I have early 99 old style stock, had it way over ten years, brought new never been stripped, about forty tins pellets through it, never had a problem with it, cocks as smooth as the day i had it, personally think galling over exaggerated.
    thanks for the reply. its in a shop here for £190 with a scope. i may go and see it tomorrow. just think the price is a little high.

https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sa...60419163029001

sorry mods if the link is not allowed

paul

Scope and mounts got to be worth £60 to £80 ask him to check and show you for galling.
    Then offer less than asking price. http://www.airgunbuyer.com/details.a...s&Product=2845

Second hand http://www.airgunbuyer.com/details.a...s&Product=7114
    Last edited by charlie1; 24-06-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Scope and mounts got to be worth £60 to £80 ask him to check and show you for galling.
    Then offer less than asking price. http://www.airgunbuyer.com/details.a...s&Product=2845
    thanks charlie. i do like it and i thought the scope was a cheap one lol.

Just added second link, above, second hand with v/mac kit scope and mounts.

Galling over exaggerated ! Have you seen some of the photos of member`s rifles with tram lines cut into the cylinder ??

Just added second link, above, second hand with v/mac kit scope and mounts.
    plus another £50 for rfd between there and me. thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    thanks for the reply. its in a shop here for £190 with a scope. i may go and see it tomorrow. just think the price is a little high.

https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sa...60419163029001

sorry mods if the link is not allowed

paul
    Certainly worth going to have a look. Then, if all seems well and it cocks smoothly, ask if there'd be any negotiation on price?

Those early ones can be prone to the galling issue. A bit hit and miss, some may do it whilst others seem totally immune. If you like the gun and it did exhibit the issue, a quick bit of fettling will sort it.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Certainly worth going to have a look. Then, if all seems well and it cocks smoothly, ask if there'd be any negotiation on price?

Those early ones can be prone to the galling issue. A bit hit and miss, some may do it whilst others seem totally immune. If you like the gun and it did exhibit the issue, a quick bit of fettling will sort it.
    Thanks tony .as per the pm I will go and see it today. Will let you know what I decide.
    Thanks for your time .it's appreciated guys.

Pm'd you TonyL but your inbox is full.

I got the Hw99. There is a little galling but not bad. There is a roller on the cocking link. The cocking link is stiff where it pivots. Will free that up.

The spring is bent bent bent lol. The piston seal is burnt. There is a nick on the seal edge.
    The spring guide is a nylon with steel washer .

I need to buy a spring,seal and guides.

Is the c-form red seals the ones to go for? I saw the Welsh willy kit or the tinbum kit.

I will be using the rifle for pest control only

Thanks in advance.

personally think galling over exaggerated.
    Definitely not exaggerated m8. I had the problem even with a supposed Hull Cartridge "fixed" cocking lever, and have seen many other examples of the tram lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynabal View Post
    Definitely not exaggerated m8. I had the problem even with a supposed Hull Cartridge "fixed" cocking lever, and have seen many other examples of the tram lines.
    my new to me has them but very slight. is the fix easy?

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Pm'd you TonyL but your inbox is full.

I got the Hw99. There is a little galling but not bad. There is a roller on the cocking link. The cocking link is stiff where it pivots. Will free that up.

The spring is bent bent bent lol. The piston seal is burnt. There is a nick on the seal edge.
    The spring guide is a nylon with steel washer .

I need to buy a spring,seal and guides.

Is the c-form red seals the ones to go for? I saw the Welsh willy kit or the tinbum kit.

I will be using the rifle for pest control only

Thanks in advance.

Well done re getting the 99.

Some will let this "galling" issue deter them from buying, meaning they lose out on a powerful, lightweight and accurate little rifle which has quite remarkable manners.

Re the wear....I suppose I was lucky with mine. Just some shallow tramlines. I polished them out and smoothed out the top edges of the lever. Rubbed some dry moly powder into the cylinder and then an application of 60% paste. Has been fine since. Others have removed a fraction of the lever material and then inserted a synthetic insert into the lever, standing only just proud (like 0.5mm) and this has done the job.

The spring guide you mention is the standard one and actually pretty good, as long as the spring to guide fit is correct.

Everyone has their own preferences re tuning kits, seals, springs etc.

My favourite, and one I have used and trusted for many years, is the V-Mach tuning kit. Not cheap, but it's a properly developed and comprehensive, high quality kit. Others will be very good, I'm sure, but I don't have first hand experience.

My earlier 99 has a WonkyDonky spring and guide set. In .22. Beautiful.

Hope this helps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

BigHit,

FYI

I fitted a Welsh Willy HW99S kit (0.177") to my 99S on Friday, and it is working beautifully

It is putting out ca. 10.7 ft.lb average (with JSB RS, Express & Exact pellets).

Oddly enough, I only bought the 99S to see what the fuss was about, and to make up my own mind about whether it really was as good as the chappies said it was.

Luckily, I found one here on 'BBS (Thanks Vic ) at an excellent price, and just had to have it

I have become very, very fond of the 99S - I have fettled the insides, removed the spring from the delrin strip and shortened the length of pull by 1", and it is now one of my all time favourite rifles

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ