Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulldog Pellets

Bulldog Pellets

Hi,

I'm constantly surprised at the prices currently being realised for vintage pellets and ephemera etc compared with the prices for the actual air guns they were contemporary with, even when their relative rareness is taken into consideration.

Another example is presently up for internet auction (Item No 351764713402) being an unopened pack of Bulldog pellets which I would have estimated to be worth around £80 max, sitting at £165 with a few hours to go.

Regards

Brian

pellets.

It certainly makes me dig deeper into my collection, pellets i had given me or paid very little in the past are making high
    prices i would not pay.i recently paid £5 for a webley tin with all its pellets and have seen them make £20-£40 on e/b.
    Ok if you can get it.If i ever get hard up i know where to go.But as brian says it still surprises me at the high prices.

i have put bids on a few collectable pellet tins on the auction site,i bid over what the consensus of value is as i want to compliment my pre war webley service and bsa first pattern,it seems fishy to me that recently they have all been sold at the next incremental bid,ie 50p more than my max bid,maybe the free listing policy leads to these shannanigans,all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by martin bingham View Post
    i have put bids on a few collectable pellet tins on the auction site,i bid over what the consensus of value is as i want to compliment my pre war webley service and bsa first pattern,it seems fishy to me that recently they have all been sold at the next incremental bid,ie 50p more than my max bid,maybe the free listing policy leads to these shannanigans,all the best.
    Hi Martin,

If your bid is not as high as another, an item will sell for the next incremental bid. It does not necessarily mean the higher bidder only placed a bid 50p higher than yours as their limit may well have been a lot higher.

I agree about prices. There seem to be some new collectors out there with bottomless funds. Who knows, perhaps they'll get bored soon and sell their recent acquisitions for a song!

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

hi john,i know you are right but sometimes it seems a bit iffy that with the tins being sought after i seem to come 2nd in most, i would have expected the tins to attract a few other bidders that would bid to a fair price,all the best,martin
    Last edited by martin bingham; 25-06-2016 at 05:14 PM.

Hi,

The Bulldog pellets eventually sold for £165 with a similar packet in slightly worse condition also selling recently for £97.99 which although still quite high, is a bit closer to my estimations.

Regards

Brian

I think I paid something like £6.50 for mine many moons ago, from Dennis Hiller, who often came across a wide variety of collectable pellets. His mailings are very much missed by me.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I think I paid something like £6.50 for mine many moons ago, from Dennis Hiller, who often came across a wide variety of collectable pellets. His mailings are very much missed by me.

John
    Hi John,

I guess Dennis Hiller provided the inspiration and basic knowledge for a lot of would be collectors during the earlier years. The Bulldog pellets remain my favourite example of commercial artwork from that or any other period.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi John,

I guess Dennis Hiller provided the inspiration and basic knowledge for a lot of would be collectors during the earlier years. The Bulldog pellets remain my favourite example of commercial artwork from that or any other period.

Regards

Brian
    He certainly did that Brian. I still have my mailings and occasionally read through them for posterity.

Not sure if I have a favourite design. There are lots I like but one that springs to mind is the pre WW1 Britannia box. I had one years ago and stupidly sold it. My box of Lincoln Match is among my favourites, as are Adder/BSA with their prominent Ensigns.

See you ate the Imperial in a couple of weeks?

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    He certainly did that Brian. I still have my mailings and occasionally read through them for posterity.

Not sure if I have a favourite design. There are lots I like but one that springs to mind is the pre WW1 Britannia box. I had one years ago and stupidly sold it. My box of Lincoln Match is among my favourites, as are Adder/BSA with their prominent Ensigns.

See you ate the Imperial in a couple of weeks?

Kind regards,

John
    Hello John,

I guess we can't be quite so enthusiastic about about the unashamedly pro British wording on packaging these days, but I still love the colourful graphics on some of the older packaging.

Glad the Imperial Arms Fair is still on an look forward to meeting up with you for chat on the day.

Regards

Brian

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi John,

Regards

Brian
    Dennis was my inspiration also when l first started collecting 1986, l bought a few guns off him over the years, and always looked forward to seeing him and having a chat at the arms fairs.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Martin...If you bid say £5.50 on a tin that started at 99p, and another guy bid £1000.00 pounds at the end, he would get it for under £6.00 As John says it's how it works.

ATB, ED

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi Martin...If you bid say £5.50 on a tin that started at 99p, and another guy bid £1000.00 pounds at the end, he would get it for under £6.00 As John says it's how it works.

ATB, ED

The above.
    Sometimes i've put very large maximum bids down against an item on the assumption (hope) that I'll end up winning by only a small amount. The gamble is, if the other bidder does the same, i'd lose the lot (as would he).

it is just that i mainly come 2nd,not 3rd,4th etc.oh well,never mind.

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    it is just that i mainly come 2nd,not 3rd,4th etc.oh well,never mind.
    Actually I agree with you Martin. It is hard to believe that so often when an item maxes out at a reasonable price there is just one bidder who has outbid you. I feel much more comfortable that an auction hasn't been rigged if there are two or three bids higher than mine.