Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holts Auction Highlights.

Holts Auction Highlights.

Some personal highlights from today's Holts London Auction:

Lot 612 Cogswell & Harrison combination Shotgun Airgun £1,500 hammer, total £1,930
    Lot 615 Giffard 4.5mm Co2 pistol £2,500 hammer, total £3,250
    Lot 624 Webley Senior pistol modified for shop display £130 hammer, total £169
    Lot 626 A.G. Parker Crank wound pistol £800 hammer, total £1,040
    Lot 627 Titan 4th Series pistol £220 hammer, total £286.
    Lot 628 ABAS Major pistol (crackle finish) hammer £380 total £494
    Lot 629 Westley Richards Highest Possible £520 hammer, total £676
    Lot 630 Factory case for Greener Air Rifle Unsold max bid hammer £280, total £364
    Lot 633 Improved Model Brittania hammer £400, total £520
    Lot 634 Lincoln Jeffries pistol (greasegun) hammer £340, total £442
    Lot 635 ABAS Major pistol (3rd Series) hammer £780, total £1014
    Lot 640 Webley mk2 Service (.177) hammer £840, total £1,040
    Lot 650 ABAS Major pistol hammer £420, total £546

As usual much of the bidding seemed to be coming from the internet.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 30-06-2016 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Some personal highlights form today's Holts London Auction:

Lot 612 Cogswell & Harrison combination Shotgun Airgun £1,500 hammer, total £1,930
    Lot 630 Factory case for Greener Air Rifle Unsold max bid hammer £280, total £364

Regards

Brian
    Thanks, Brian.

The Cogswell was unsold according to Holts' website, because the bids didn't make the reserve.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Thanks, Brian.

The Cogswell was unsold according to Holts' website, because the bids didn't make the reserve.
    Hi Danny,

Thanks for the correction I must have misheard the auctioneer in relation to the Cogswell & Harrison. Did the sale have any surprises for you ? I thought most air gun items sold at about the right price unlike the Colt Percussion revolvers which seem to be suffering relative decline in value.

Regards
    Brian

Did the sale have any surprises for you ? I thought most air gun items sold at about the right price unlike the Colt Percussion revolvers which seem to be suffering relative decline in value.

Regards
    Brian
    Not really, I agree with you Brian.

The Webley Service Mk2 series II did well, but it looks like a cracking example.

Prices/demand for the more common Giffard CO2 rifles appear to have taken a beating, but an awful lot seem to have been up for sale recently. I keep thinking of something DT Fletcher said a while ago about them having been impractical to refill when new, which might explain why so many look like they've spent the last 100 years in the back of the cabinet... Looks like he might have a point.

Probably the Titan looks the best value on your list, although it was refinished.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Not really, I agree with you Brian.

The Webley Service Mk2 series II did well, but it looks like a cracking example.

Prices/demand for the more common Giffard CO2 rifles appear to have taken a beating, but an awful lot seem to have been up for sale recently. I keep thinking of something DT Fletcher said a while ago about them having been impractical to refill when new, which might explain why so many look like they've spent the last 100 years in the back of the cabinet... Looks like he might have a point.

Probably the Titan looks the best value on your list, although it was refinished.
    Hi Danny,

I thought the ABAS Majors reflected their current value well, especially as there was more than one on offer. I would really love to own a Giffard Co2 pistol, but £3000 plus is a bit above my head. Doesn't stop me dreaming though.

Regards

Brian

I had a good look at the Giffard rifles on Tuesday. Amazing looking things. Some of the boxes webley hurricanes and tempests reached very high numbers in my opinion and the Walter LP53 went £300 before fees so was too rich for me sadly.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Some personal highlights from today's Holts London Auction:

Regards

Brian
    Hi Brian the crackle finish ABAS didn't sell either according to their site, what was the box like. l thought the improved brittania was a good buy, l paid more than that quite a few years ago in about the same condition, the moden Webleys were way over the top in my oppion, and quite a lot for the Bedford & Walker as well.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Brian the crackle finish ABAS didn't sell either according to their site, what was the box like. l thought the improved brittania was a good buy, l paid more than that quite a few years ago in about the same condition, the moden Webleys were way over the top in my oppion, and quite a lot for the Bedford & Walker as well.
    Hi Micky,

I didn't attend the sale in person and must have misheard the auctioneer regarding the ABAS as I did with the Cogswell & Harrison corrected by Danny. It might be an an age thing although some auctioneers don't always make it clear that the Lot had been passed. Quite a few of the modern Webleys were from the Webley museum which may have added a bit to their value. Having said that, I understand that this was not a proper museum collection, but more an assortment of bits and pieces brought together for sale when the company ceased trading.

Regards

Brian

Not sure what I originally wrote but I think it is pretty clear that use of any Giffard CO2 model would be tied to the local availability of CO2 (The CO2 Giffard models only came out in 1890 because at the same time CO2 first became commercially available in Paris.) Any interruption of that commercial supply would affect being able to use the guns. My guess is that this supply may have been interrupted by WWI. Production of liquid CO2 requires rather substantial pumps to compress the gas to the point that it will turn to the liquid state.

There is also the problem that no customer refilling seems to have been anticipated, since, it's my understanding, refill required return to factory. Once the Giffard company ceased to operate, use of the Giffard CO2 models would have to be a difficult proposition.

There are a number of CO2 designs (Winsel, Crosman CG) that were produced in the US that, because of awkward CO2 supply requirements, resulted in the same situation where, when found, they are almost always in near new condition.

greener case

Had a look at the greener case online, looks as if its either never been used or its been relined if indeed it is an original greener product. Anyone know? Or whos was the greener collection in question?
    eric
    BTW i know to/have seen and maybe had a go with giffards filled with comp air.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I have an adaptor for filling Giffard cylinders. Co2 easy enough to get these days. Old fire extinguishers are plentiful from fire extinguisher servicing companies and if you are friendly with a publican a bottle can be obtained very cheaply.

The ammunition is a different thing altogether but not insurmountable.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

easy peasy

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    I have an adaptor for filling Giffard cylinders. Co2 easy enough to get these days. Old fire extinguishers are plentiful from fire extinguisher servicing companies and if you are friendly with a publican a bottle can be obtained very cheaply.

The ammunition is a different thing altogether but not insurmountable.

Dave
    ammunition dies and swages are easy for any practical hands on person.
    rgds eric

Quote Originally Posted by shabee View Post
    Had a look at the greener case online, looks as if its either never been used or its been relined if indeed it is an original greener product. Anyone know? Or whos was the greener collection in question?
    eric
    BTW i know to/have seen and maybe had a go with giffards filled with comp air.
    Here is a link to the item in question should anybody wish to add further comment.

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com...100740&image=2

Regards

Brian

Here is a link to the item in question should anybody wish to add further comment.

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com...100740&image=2

Regards

Brian
    Hi Brian, Apart from the Holts description in the catalogue, how do we know that the case is definitely for the Greener Air Rifle. Greeners made martini action rifles as well as break barrel rook rifles. How do we know it is not for one of those ? Not doubting, just intrigued to know

Lakey

greener case

Ive had another look and cant see it. Maybe its gone now?
    I have compared the case to some known greener cases and from that aspect it looks right (someone now thinking ive fooled you).
    Everything from the clasp/lock to the handle, metal rings etc look like other known greener cases. I was intrigued to know "which greener collection" though, was it from the greener company?
    As for it being for an air rifle, i think they did advertise them but think they would have cases made by someone and fit them out to whatever airgun, rifle or shotgun they were to accompany, it looks unused or refitted though, Dave lewis?
    rgds
    eric