Thread: Back to shooting

Back to shooting

Hi all, Just joined as I am rekindling my interest in air rifle shooting after many years. Growing up in London I had an old Webley Falcon but I need to upgrade now as I am living in Northumberland and I have a bit of a rabbit problem !
    Cheers Simon.

Talking

Any of the weirach range, the hw80(superb) hw 77/97 in various formats, the 95 etc, etc. Walther range is also very good the lgu down to the terrus all very accurate. Air arms tx200 like the walther lgu very accurate but weighty. Budget end (but still high quality) hatsan 55/60 (webley stingray). Any of the above air rifles are proven in the field and are accurate. And of course if you can't shoot... Buy a pcp.

What's your budget, Simon? And welcome to the forum...

Don't be too concerned with the guns weight. It's what makes the recoil and steadyness manageable.

First time I picked up my springer, I thought WOW this is a beast! After shooting a lot I came to appreciate the mass of this gun.

If possible get some shooting sticks you can use while standing, or sitting. We shoot 75% of the big game in our camp in afrika with sticks. The three leg sticks are 100% better then two leg sticks. The best I've used in my career are made by the American company Primos. They are called trigger sticks.

A great match to air rifle shooting in my opinion.

Hello Simon welcome to the forum mate.
    ATB Marc
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

welcome mate,try a prosport great guns for bunnys mate

Many thanks for the kind welcome. I must say my first choice for a rifle was something from Weihrauch as it was the HW 35 in my youth that was always the one I coveted. I am torn between the HW97 and the HW 100. It seems both will do what I want but do I stick with tried and tested springer or embrace the new, to me, world of Pcp ? Currently doing a bit of research but hw100 is ahead I think.
    Cheers.
    Simon.

For what it is worth I have just bought a hw100 in .177 and it's an amazing gun. For just under £800 I got a lovely set up with scope, sling, bag and pellets. It comes with a silencer and a couple of mags as well.

The thing about pcps is they are easier to shoot and quicker to load/re load. I can't offer a wealth of experience - but I know what I would do.

airgun

Hi there do u you have any local shops where you can try a few different rifles before you buy

Go for the '35

I'd say to go with a hw35 too Simon

They're a great gun( I've got 2 myself) and if you pick up an earlier one you won't have to pay a small fortune to get a good hunting rifle.. You'll have just as much fun with a £150 hw35 as you would buying a precharged rifle such as a Bsa R10 costing £800.... but that's just my 2 pence

Things to be aware of when buying a hw35 is that the breech lock is solid with no play....

And also due to the compression chamber being made in two pieces and then being brazed together
    (towards the transfer port end of the compression tube) that there is no leaks from this brazed joint

A good way of checking that out is a slight dusting of talc on the joint( if the seller doesn't mind haha)and load up a pellet.... Take aim and fire at a target..... If you don't get showered with a talc cloud... You've got a good ' un

Usually producing no more than 10.5 ftlb in. 22 format which is more than enough to flatten those bunnies, yet safe enough to keep you within the law

All the best finding your 'new' hunting rig matey

Half life

Get a hw35 to relive your youth..then send it to v-mack to get a full v-glide tune.trigger, shim job and silencer then order a cs500 or cs700 walnut stock to put it in .it will cost less than the PCP you will never need a charging bottle and it it will last a lifetime ..or do the above to a hw95 or get a tuned sandwell sport hw99 it will be better than both the 35 and 95 there was one in the sales section all done up (not mine) and never ask how good a hw99 is on this forum(you have been warned) or an air arms the rolls Royce of springer s out of the box
    Last edited by Rocket launcher; 28-06-2016 at 06:04 AM.

Welcome to the forum, Simon.

It'd be a HW springer for me, but it's all down to personal preference.....
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!