Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question.Schimal air pistol.

Regarding speculation of brittle metal, I can't say I have come across this so far. Providing there are no signs of oxidisation (white powder) you should be ok. If the handle feels too stiff to close during the cocking procedure, it probably needs to be correctly adjusted as closing it acts to shut off the grip valve shutting off the supply of CO2 to the main valve surrounding the barrel of the pistol. If incorrectly adjusted, the seal will be closed too tightly and too much force will be needed to close the handle which can lead to metal fracture. If too light, the seal won't fully close and you will have a constant feed of CO2 into the main valve which can lead to difficulty when resetting the main valve for the next shot and "burping" after each shot until reset.

Quote Originally Posted by scubapics View Post
    Regarding speculation of brittle metal, I can't say I have come across this so far. Providing there are no signs of oxidisation (white powder) you should be ok. If the handle feels too stiff to close during the cocking procedure, it probably needs to be correctly adjusted as closing it acts to shut off the grip valve shutting off the supply of CO2 to the main valve surrounding the barrel of the pistol. If incorrectly adjusted, the seal will be closed too tightly and too much force will be needed to close the handle which can lead to metal fracture. If too light, the seal won't fully close and you will have a constant feed of CO2 into the main valve which can lead to difficulty when resetting the main valve for the next shot and "burping" after each shot until reset.
    Good advice from scubapics. The triggers are also reported to be a bit brittle, but as they are normally quite light, be sure not apply too much pressure in case the safety has been inadvertently left in the wrong position.

Regards

Brian

schimal

P22 arrived this morning 30th.june.Complete with modern plastic pistol case.tin of .22 lead balls and 3 co2 capsules.
    On inspection it looked in first class condition,with slight shrinkage to plastic grips.took off grips everthing looks ok ,clean
    and lubricated.printed a lot of info off the web etc.after loading a co2 pushed reset button forward etc but not enough and
    woosh lost the holelot of gas.put in another and pushed r/set button fully forward where it should be pulled trigger and
    crack it works perfectly with no leaks anywhere.The wife came rushing in to the cons.she thought i had shot the place up'
    Another bollocking.Roly.

Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    P22 arrived this morning 30th.june.Complete with modern plastic pistol case.tin of .22 lead balls and 3 co2 capsules.
    On inspection it looked in first class condition,with slight shrinkage to plastic grips.took off grips everthing looks ok ,clean
    and lubricated.printed a lot of info off the web etc.after loading a co2 pushed reset button forward etc but not enough and
    woosh lost the holelot of gas.put in another and pushed r/set button fully forward where it should be pulled trigger and
    crack it works perfectly with no leaks anywhere.The wife came rushing in to the cons.she thought i had shot the place up'
    Another bollocking.Roly.
    Hi Roly,

Well you've got the full gas release bogey out of the way now, so the only way is up from now on. I wouldn't recommend that you leave a partially charged capsule in the pistol over an extended period. Best to empty the capsule by firing the pistol until fully discharged after each shooting session.

Perhaps you could post some pictures of your Schimel when you get a chance.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 01-07-2016 at 11:27 AM.

For the incurably curious when it comes to Schimels.....

I recommend Karl Paoletti's monster tome-"Anthology on the Schimel Airgun". 245 wonderfully illustrated pages. All about and around this very significant gun. The first gas pistol to utilize disposable CO2 bulbs as a power source.
    Trev

http://s864.photobucket.com/user/cin...tml?sort=3&o=0
    Last edited by trevor1; 02-07-2016 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    I recommend Karl Paoletti's monster tome-"Anthology on the Schimel Airgun". 245 wonderfully illustrated pages. All about and around this very significant gun. The first gas pistol to utilize disposable CO2 bulbs as a power source.
    Trev

http://s864.photobucket.com/user/cin...tml?sort=3&o=0
    Hi Trev,

Is this publication readily available and where to do you think might be the best place to obtain a copy ?

Regards

Brian

Taken from the US Vintage Airgun Site,regards,Trev

Collection of four books written on the Schimel air pistol bound together into one volume. Contains 245 pages and 259 pictures. Covers history, repairing, rebuilding, parts variation, ballistics and other subjects. $39.95 shipped. Contact Karl Paoletti at karl3419@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    Collection of four books written on the Schimel air pistol bound together into one volume. Contains 245 pages and 259 pictures. Covers history, repairing, rebuilding, parts variation, ballistics and other subjects. $39.95 shipped. Contact Karl Paoletti at karl3419@gmail.com
    Hi Trev

Thanks for posting the relevant contact details. Looks like a very comprehensive publication well worth obtaining to accompany this extremely interesting pistol.

Regards

Brian

Mine had an interesting leak yesterday.
    Friend Baz is sorting it.
    It probably only needs a new cap o ring.
    Which is easily dealt with.

But I know he will give it a good service as well.

First problem I've had with this one in a few years.