Thread: reloading .222 rem

reloading .222 rem

Hi there just started reloading .222 rem ! Im using 55grain Hornady SP SX Heads ,CCI primers ,23 grains Varget powder and S&B Cases What do you use ?
    atb Charlie

Alliant reloader 7, hodgdon h322, hodgdon h4198, imr 4198 are all excellent choices for the .222 with any 40-50gr ballistic tip bullet, I have been reloading for the .222 for years and can honestly say with the four aforementioned powders I have never made ammo that wouldn't shoot at least 1moa. I normally used 21.6 grains reloader 7 with a cci primer 400 or br4 or if you can get them (i can't ����) Remington 7 1/2 and a 40 grain Hornady v-max, this load in my standard Sako 85 varmint would shoot better than 1/2 Moa. 3/4 inch 5 shot groups at 225 yards (my home range length) were the norm. I have also dabbled with 20.5 grains of h4198 with a 50gr v-max and had similar if not better groups. I do however have to make my rounds well over the saami recommended Oal. Maybe my Sako has quite a long throat as it has been this way from new and the rounds with an Oal of 2.210 are only just fitting in the magazine. Please do not use my load data without checking for yourself as I have listed it from memory and may be incorrect and or not suitable in your gun. Forgot to mention all loads are with lapua brass and with regard to case preparation I have tried had RCBS f/l sizing everything then Redding bushing neck dies then tried the excellent Wilson hand dies and to be totally honest I have achieved excellent groups with all of these methods. At the minute I am using a Lee collet die with great success and seating with a Forster bench rest seater die which is in my opinion the best seater die I have ever owned.
    Last edited by james19306; 26-06-2016 at 08:54 PM.

I've been reloading the 222 for about 15 years and always use N133. ( 24grains N133 lapua match cases br primers and a 40grain ballistic tip ) In my rifle this is not an hot load

average group quarter of an inch at 100yds

Don't use this load without first working up to 24 grains.

.222 rem

Thanks lots of options there ! I will keep these on file for future use !

You might be wanting a lighter bullet if your running a 1:14 twist barrel. 52grain was about the heaviest I could get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by activeviii View Post
    You might be wanting a lighter bullet if your running a 1:14 twist barrel. 52grain was about the heaviest I could get to work.
    tried them out working good !

Quote Originally Posted by activeviii View Post
    Good advice,mthe .222 always works better with bullets at the lower end of the weight choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Half MOA View Post
    Good advice,mthe .222 always works better with bullets at the lower end of the weight choices.
    Not sure about that, the lower BC 35-40gn bullets have never been as good in either of my .222, I have had better results with 50-52gn bullets.
    To the OP, I would try a powder quicker than Varget as you will need compressed loads to achieve fairly modest velocities.
    As already posted H322, H335, BLC 2, RL 7, Ramshot X terminator have all worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pothunter View Post
    Not sure about that, the lower BC 35-40gn bullets have never been as good in either of my .222, I have had better results with 50-52gn bullets.
    To the OP, I would try a powder quicker than Varget as you will need compressed loads to achieve fairly modest velocities.
    As already posted H322, H335, BLC 2, RL 7, Ramshot X terminator have all worked well for me.
    Thanks all for the advice I will file it and try some of it later on !

Quote Originally Posted by pothunter View Post
    My post was badly worded, and you are correct.
    When I said in the lower weight range I meant bullets nearer to the 50 grn. mark rather than 55 grn +

Best combination for accuracy so far in my CZ527 .222 : 24gr Ramshot X terminator & 40gr Sierra Blitzkings.Nearly as good and certainly accurate enough for my needs with 50gr Sierra loads.

see the other post but I have been loading 6 or 7 bullet types with three different powders, 3 different primers and norma brass

bullet weight is not the limiting factor, length is

I routinely use 60gr Hornday SP for roe (is a blunt profile soft point with a flat base)
    the same rifle won't shoot 52gr amax...but to prove the above point will shoot them fine if I pull the ballistic tips and reduce the length and subsequent CoG

I now use norma brass, CCI450 magnum primers (as I had 500 of them left over from a job lot buy!)
    40gr SBK, H355 (replaced the 52gr Amax as my current fox load)
    60gr Hornady SP N133
    53gr Barnes XLC N133
    60gr Nosler Partitions N133

.222 is not a fussy cartridge even with 1:14"
    avoid running bullets at the extreme range of length/weight at higher or lower speeds
    My 60gr group to well under an inch with 20.8gr of N133, as soon as i step up 0.2gr it starts to open up exponentially with each increment of powder
    I have shot roe out to 200yds and targets out to 450yds with this load

see the other post but I have been loading 6 or 7 bullet types with three different powders, 3 different primers and norma brass

bullet weight is not the limiting factor, length is

I routinely use 60gr Hornday SP for roe (is a blunt profile soft point with a flat base)
    the same rifle won't shoot 52gr amax...but to prove the above point will shoot them fine if I pull the ballistic tips and reduce the length and subsequent CoG

I now use norma brass, CCI450 magnum primers (as I had 500 of them left over from a job lot buy!)
    40gr SBK, H355 (replaced the 52gr Amax as my current fox load)
    60gr Hornady SP N133
    53gr Barnes XLC N133
    60gr Nosler Partitions N133

.222 is not a fussy cartridge even with 1:14"
    avoid running bullets at the extreme range of length/weight at higher or lower speeds
    My 60gr group to well under an inch with 20.8gr of N133, as soon as i step up 0.2gr it starts to open up exponentially with each increment of powder
    I have shot roe out to 200yds and targets out to 450yds with this load