Thread: Umarex C96 blowback BB pistol

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?

Umarex C96 blowback BB pistol

Anyone got one of these? Any good? I think it's made by KWC as it has a full size mag with CO2 and BB's.

I'm thinking it would make an appropriate companion to my Webley mk6
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Hi Tony,

It's an M712 rather than a C96. There are 2 common versions, the Umarex one is plastic and the KWC model is metal (Zinc or similar Zinc alloy). The KWC model is also sold under license by Umarex and is in my opinion the KWC is far superior to the Umarex offering.

If handling them both it is immediately obvious which one you have, the Umarex pistol is lighter with typical gimmicky Umarex blowback, the KWC has more weight to it and more movement of the action. The KWC feels a lot more solid and is more fun to shoot.

Disappointingly the slide doesn't move as far as it should (it is well forward of the loading slot) and doesn't remain out of battery on the last shot. It also doesn't have a realistic lock like most KWC guns (not that it really makes a difference but it is one thing I really like about the others, they are generally a very accurate represntation of the action).

Nice guns, I really like mine.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Ive just bought an Umerex PO8 Luger blow back, fantastic fun,well detailed and heavy,recommend

Quote Originally Posted by greg12 View Post
    Ive just bought an Umerex PO8 Luger blow back, fantastic fun,well detailed and heavy,recommend
    Another KWC model and a very nice one too! I got mine at the same time as my M712, sadly it had to go back as it had a tendency to go full auto!! Swapped now for a working model.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Umarex C96 FM

I purchased one last week - the full weight / all metal Umarex Legends version (£149). Nice heft and feel, good trigger compared to the lightweight (£119) Umarex.

However, fires shockingly high compared to the POA. Bit disappointing having to basically aim at the bottom of the target to hit the bull The foresight, despite being a narrowish blade, does not suit the too narrow and shallow V of the rear sight. Plus, not particularly accurate - thought I'd used of a shotgun on the target when I checked afterwards from 6yds.

Didn't get many magazines out of a bulb, either, and although the end of the CO2 is prefaced with a lower report and lower POI, the last shot then effectively goes full auto to dissipate the last of the CO2 - sounds fun, but useless - not enough pressure to cycle the action sufficiently to fully cock the hammer to full position.

In fact, I was so disappointed I dropped a lead pellet into the breech, found it fitted nicely and fired it with a new bulb - wonders, accuracy restored - using lead pellets loaded directly into the breech this has now become a dead accurate pistol, all in the 8/9 zone

So now I'm wondering what BBs would be best, as I still want to use the magazine and I've always liked Broomhandle Mausers - I was using Crosman Copperhead - I haven't got any good scales to hand to weigh the BBs sufficiently accurately and I'm assuming their weight, or lack of, is making the pistol POI high compared to the POA. So far I've used Bisley Practice, H&N Excite and RWS Meisterkugeln, but i don't know their weights - I'm assuming they're heavier than the copper coated steel BB? Has anyone tried lead ball? Is copper coated lead likely to be any better?

Realms of fantasy then arise - could I convert it to pellet firing, a la Drulov - not in my techability though, but a pleasing thought

On the POA / POI thing as well, my PX4 does the same - from a rested position the POI is nowhere near the POA and again it looks like I've used a shotgun...

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Thanks for all your replies!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk