Thread: hammerli 402 in to a webley sidelever stock

hammerli 402 in to a webley sidelever stock

hi I have noticed a lot of Webley sidelever stocks for sale and i was wondering if you could put a hammerli in to one the osprey is a copy like the sl jackal of the 400 mode has some had a go at it I would like to put my 402 in a walnut stock I was thinking about have one made if the was some one who could make one and if you have got a 400 in a custom stock if you could put a pic up please

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by the green man View Post
    hi I have noticed a lot of Webley sidelever stocks for sale and i was wondering if you could put a hammerli in to one the osprey is a copy like the sl jackal of the 400 mode has some had a go at it I would like to put my 402 in a walnut stock I was thinking about have one made if the was some one who could make one and if you have got a 400 in a custom stock if you could put a pic up please
    If you have a Hammerli 420 with the military stock I'd be interested in buying it or swapping. I think the long trigger unit would be a problem with fitting it into the Osprey stock - unless you meant the Supertarget?

I have only ever seen one picture of the 420 in a military stock, was it a copy of the Jackal? Is it any good, anyone have one?

no sorry has the wooden stock. hammerli made the barrels for the jackal a 402 in a better stock that would be good best tap rifle to me accurate and sweet to shoot

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    I have only ever seen one picture of the 420 in a military stock, was it a copy of the Jackal? Is it any good, anyone have one?
    No it was more swoopy and more graceful. I think it may predate the Parabellum and the AR7. The Jackal action was a heavy duty copy of the 400 series, not as accurate or as nice to shoot.

It does certainly look less clumsy than a Jackal. I wonder if it sold well in Europe (I am hoping that it did and somewhere out there they are cheap and plentiful!).

the is still plenty nocking about some stocks on protect for them most rifles sell for about £150 ish in near new nick as a kid I was a big fan of eddie barber who was a big fan of them along with the original 45 and bsa mercury they are my favourite spring guns of all time I have all 3 in .177 all are used regular just wished they had brought it out in a deluxe model

Quote Originally Posted by the green man View Post
    the is still plenty nocking about some stocks on protect for them most rifles sell for about £150 ish in near new nick
    Plenty of Jackal Hi-Powers, Parabellums and AR7s, but I have seen about 3 Hammerli 420 Military stocked rifles on here in 15 years!

wood over plastic for me especially walnut not a big fan of the jackal its tap has no ball or spring in it used to put my finger on the lever to make sure it stays in place not seen the 420 in years had a green stock if I remember

The 420 military must be one of the rarest rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    The 420 military must be one of the rarest rifles?
    There was one as new one (I think) sold off as part of the Webley Pattern Room sale a few years ago, and the occasional mention of one or two over the years. There were maybe 50 or something like that sold here, they were reviewed in the early 80s by Rod Lynton. The woodstocked ones were more popular, as 'Fred Grimwade' of Airgun World championed the sweet-shooting accuracy of them. I had one which I used in early FT shoots, it was very accurate but only made about 8 fpe in .177, and really couldn't be encouraged any higher with the tuning methods of the day.

There's probably a good few hiding in attics and collections that will never see the light of day. I wonder if they were sold in Germany or Switzerland? I often thought they might be a trainer for the H&K G3 rifle for the Swiss self-defence force but I never saw any evidence of this, the stock shape is roughly similar.

Thats very impressive knowledge Hsing, I suspect you are right about them being in collections. More impressive is the fact that you owned a version! I wonder what Webley were doing with one? Is it just something companies do to compare products I wonder? I find pistol type grips make shooting easier but do the HFT crowd use them?

I guess a lot of you know that eddie was fred I can remember the was a ad in airgun world in the early 80s sell of the hammerli for a about £30 something I think just to get gone also bsf at low prices to but no 420 its well over 20 years the last time I saw one it was in cindys so that will tell you how long ago it was not a lot about hammerli no one talks or writes about them forgotten about I don't think the has been an article written about them or a collectors corner test a fire at the works stop production and I guess plastic burns better then wood