Thread: Anybody going to holts auction tomorrow

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight

Anybody going to holts auction tomorrow

In a possibly vain attempt to schmooze a free glass of wine, I will be swapping my normal attire of hawaian shirt for something more respectable I.e. a tweed jacket. Will be there with the wife though, so if you happen to spot a balding overweight fella looking uncomfortable, say hello. I'll be available for a pint somewhere nearby afterwards.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Well ...

... I have put a cheeky commission bid on a little frippery. I have also put a little bid on a lot on next week's sealed bid auction.

I went to the view last Tuesday which ended on a disagreeable note.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpsfelt View Post
    ... I have put a cheeky commission bid on a little frippery. I have also put a little bid on a lot on next week's sealed bid auction.

I went to the view last Tuesday which ended on a disagreeable note.
    there is a couple of bits I am interested in but I will watch and see how it goes...... its the commission at 25% plus vat which takesit to roughly 30% on top of the hammer price that kills it for me though..

why did it end on a disagreeable note?

Today

I certain well known individual told my mate to "sod-off" as we were leaving. It was gratuitous and unsolicited and I suspect the person was showing off to chums.
    As for my bid? Well I know I was a bit cheeky and I did not expect to get it but the hammer price was 4x what I had put down. Utter madness for what is a rather ordinary item. If that is the market value, my modest collection is worth thousands and thousands - and it is not.
    Remember, if you are unsuccessful at auction - you have not lost - you still have the money in your pocket.

Some surprising results in the airgun section.

More surprising by a mile though the complete lack of refreshments.

I came away with a couple of items.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Some surprising results in the airgun section.

More surprising by a mile though the complete lack of refreshments.

I came away with a couple of items.

Dave
    Hi Dave,

I seem to recall that there used to be a snack be in the building which at least provided some light refreshments. Seems a bit silly for them to stop doing this at such a high profile auction.

You can't just leave us hanging mate, so what "couple of items" did you eventually come home with ?

Regards

Brian

Seems ridiculous all the money being spent and not even a cup of coffee, let alone a rich tea. Staff seemed well provided for though.

I came away with a couple of pistols.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Seems ridiculous all the money being spent and not even a cup of coffee, let alone a rich tea. Staff seemed well provided for though.

I came away with a couple of pistols.

Dave
    Dave

I didn't see you there but look me up next time, I'm the midlands rep now so I'll certainly sort you out with a beer

Rich
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.