Thread: Webley MK3 Supertarget question

Webley MK3 Supertarget question

I've purchased a .177 Supertarget with PH sights and now fitting new a new seal and Spring, I have a new genuine mk3 Spring, what length should the spring be?

What I have taken out is a cut down square section (presumably OX or something just as nasty) obviously being designed for target I'd be happy with around 7ft lb with a nice predictable recoil, what it had was just plain horrible to shoot. More power than needed, hard to cock and kicked like a mule, Any advise welcome.

Piston seal will be leather.

Cheers
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Hi Nige,

The original springs are a bit too lively IMHO as these rifles were oversprung. Probably best to cut off and collapse a couple of coils.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

New Webley Mk.III Mainsprings should be between 9 1/2" to 9 3/4" in length x 29 coils.

Cheers guys, I'll set to the standard length and remove a coil and try it, I can always take another if need be, as I mentioned really not looking for power but more a smoother fireing cycle.

Thanks
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Mine has been 'target tuned'. With non-original spring.
    This spring has pretty amount of preload but thinner thread thickness.
    It a pure DREAM to shoot now.
    But may not reach 7Ftp. As said, its tuned for targetwork
    ATB,
    yana

Used a new Webley Spring and cut 2 coils off, finished it properly, made a new leather piston seal and she shoots superbly, will need a few more pellets to set the seal fully but very pleased with it, thanks for the advise all
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,