Thread: A scope question

A scope question

Hi Buddies,

I've been pondering about what if anything I could use so my scope is not so stiff to focus.
    It's a Bushnell Dusk till Dawn 6-18x50AO.
    It's lovely dialling from 30 to 50 yards but turning it up further is too much grunt one handed.
    It's not that old but old enough to have loosened up a bit by now.
    I can't take it back to the shop. It's not damaged. Another Bushnell scope I have is much easier and completely lovely.Strewth, normally when it's warm, no worries.

The Euro Lottery question is would it be completely stupid to apply some kind of lube or spray?
    I don't want it to be slippery LOL or get gritty and notchy.
    You can't increase to greater distance easily enough.
    Force it round to loosen or don't risk it What say You?

You could use a plastic "breakaway coaster" as a handle (from a fishing tackle shop) the trouble with lube is what type & will dirt stick to it & make it worse.

Too Stiff to Turn One Handed

Thanks Grumpy Ted Buddy

I guess if it ain't broke "don't try and fix it" fiddling.
    I guess too I don't often need more than 75 whatever, so it doesn't matter.
    I have another Bushnell which is Gloss, when new I wrapped some grippy insulation tape, because it was both stiff and slippery in the cold. That worked, also stopped the lens cap marking that nice shiny black finish.

I was sought of hoping an in charge type keen to offer advice as always, would have a miracle cure.
    Like a large scope wheel on the end of the lens, like one of the flower pot men.

Higher Ranges

I had a mtc which used to stick on high ranges (which I and my sad eyes never used) was told by a member on here I think was to keep turning turning the focus/ranging knob back wards and forwards through all the stops I do mine at least once a week sort of while watching a film on TV none of my scopes stick any more by doing this in fact I would say they are as good now as if I had one of those bloody great wheels on them perfect I can't remember the members name but is advise as served me well Best Regards Frank
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

Thanks Frank and Grumpy.

Strangely my Grandchildren call me Grumpy and my middle name is Frank.

I guess really I should take the scope off and do as you suggest, thanks Fred.
    Afore I go, this reminds me a bit of an misunderstanding at the hairdressers years ago.

Like sitting on the sofa with my scope in my hands twisting it back and forth!!

Sitting in the Chair with the apron thingy draped accross my upper body with my glasses case in my lap I thought I would give my lenses a quick polish under the apron. WHACK, the bird clocked me really hard on the side of my head with something heavy, probably the hair dryer. Cut me a bit too it did.
    Hell of a performance. Protesting pulling my glasses out "I was only cleaning my glasses" the bird just said Oh!!

We did have a bit of a laugh later but I didn't go back.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    You could use a plastic "breakaway coaster" as a handle (from a fishing tackle shop) the trouble with lube is what type & will dirt stick to it & make it worse.
    +1,

I use coasters on all my front PA scopes.