Thread: What is the best springer 10M match Rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    The Walther LGV series (springers) weren't recoiless though were they Nige?

AFAIK the Single Stroke Pneumatic LGR was the first recoiless Walther rifle...
    Who said it needed to be recoilless? Still an awesome rifle, the LGR was great but very heavy from what I recall. I still love shooting the older guns, I have as much fun with my LP53 pistol as I do my 300xt , of the guns I would never sell my LP53 & Webley Supertarget are top of the list, others come and go but these will always remain treasured possessions, quite a bold statement considering I've only just got the Webley, I spent so long looking for the Parker Hale sighted version though.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

10/10,

I have the following : Original 66, 75, Walther LG55 & LGV, Feinwerkbau 300 & 300SU.

They all shoot beautifully, and anyone of these rifles would make a fine choice

The Original rifles are however, the most 'neutral' on firing - the total absence of recoil & vibration is uncanny !

I have a great fondness for break-barrel rifles, and the 66, 55 & LGV show they are no slouch in the accuracy stakes.

The Anschutz 380 is another fine rifle, but I have never shot one or seen one in the flesh.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Never shot a 380 either so another vote for the Original 75. For the reasons stated by Russ. They also looked great amongst a sea of FWB 300s back in the day. The 66 was a bit before my time but I hanker after one now.
    My idea of Utopia would be a Giss powered Anschutz 250. Unbeatable looks meet superb engineering.

Best Springer

I have 2 Anschutz 250 Both shoot very differently
    2 Original 75s Both serviced and both shooting superbly
    and 1 Diana 75 TO1 with a stunning stock and that is in a different class
    nearly forgot the Anschutz 220 a little recoil but magical to shoot

Well, if you've found the 380 outshoots even the 75 T01 in your hands, I can respect your original statement.
    Would like to get my grubby paws on both and see how I get on. These two seem to be the rarest of the springers.

I think that all the rifles mentioned, in the right hands ,will give great results.I love my 380 and it does shoot sweetly,but I and many others have been beaten in bell target matches many times by recoiling rifles such as the LGV and HW55
    Life without happiness is no life at all.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Match Springers

As one who was around at the time when springers were being used at Internationals , I can tell you that it was near enough 100% FWB 300's of various editions, my wife shot an Original 75 Nationally and Internationally for a while, and was always the only non FWB at Internationals, she preferred its neutral action to the FWB, but changed to a Walther LGR as soon as they were available.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

There is no 'best'unless you rest it while firing. And even than, there are accuracy differences from rifle to rifle within 1 model.
    What shóóts best is what suits you best.(balance/accuracy etc wise)
    In my case, the Diana 75.
    Dont like the ergo's of anschutz. Neither air nor rimfire. Too universal.
    Dont like the FWB300 either.
    Dito for anschutz 250.
    Walther LG55T looks very nice but ofcourse lack the ergo's of the later 75
    ATB,
    yana

The best springer 10M match rifle is the one that shoots the best for you.

There is no rifle that can be claimed to be "the best" spring powered 10M match rifle (the question asked in this thread) as almost all 10M spring powered match rifles are as accurate as each other - but different shooters have different preferences and look for different things perhaps in the way they cock, the balance, or a preference for the action used along with many other factors.

Any claim to what is "the best" 10M match air rifle would be very subjective and made within the parameters of the claimants own subjective preferences, and they may well not be agreed upon by others who have their own thoughts and preferences.

If the answer were to be judged on the most widely used and most successful spring powered 10M match rifle ever made then unquestionably the answer could only be the Feinwerkbau 300S ( and it many variants). It was the undisputed choice for the vast majority of spring powered 10M match shooters at all levels for many years.

Spring powered 10M match rifles began to be replaced by their 10M rifle shooting owners firstly by SSP powered 10M match rifles and followed ( briefly) by a few CO2 powered types but ultimately by the PCP rifle types that have dominated the 10M match rifle shooting at al levels since their introduction.

Some of us still enjoy shooting the spring powered 10M rifles in the MPL series and in Classic events that are held for them and they remain popular for 6 yards shooters and Bell Target shooters too.
    Last edited by zooma; 05-07-2016 at 02:09 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.