Thread: 22 Hornet: 35gr V-Max

22 Hornet: 35gr V-Max

Happy with how my Hornet performed at 100 yards today. Took my first rabbit and woodpigeon at 120 yards. The headshot rabbit was, shall we say, humane!

Think I'm settled on a load using the 35gr V-Max. 12.5gr of Lil Gun; Winchester Brass, CCI BR4 primers and a COAL of 1.730 which, fortunately, just fits in the CZ mag.

The shot on the left was the aim point and three shots fell within the group on the right:

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

My brno fox is a tack driver with 35g v-max in still air.
    I've been experimenting with heavier bullets but I can't get the same level of accuracy.
    I shall be going back to them when I finish my box of 45g speers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranyhyn View Post
    My brno fox is a tack driver with 35g v-max in still air.
    I've been experimenting with heavier bullets but I can't get the same level of accuracy.
    I shall be going back to them when I finish my box of 45g speers.
    That's interesting, I've got some 40 & 45gr Hornet specific Sierra bullets to try next. They're a round nose soft point

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    That's interesting, I've got some 40 & 45gr Hornet specific Sierra bullets to try next. They're a round nose soft point
    I'd be interested to hear how you get on. The Speers I've been using are hollow points. The best I've managed is 1" groups @ 100yds.
    With the 35g V's I can get sub 1/2", I suspect they are more accurate than I am. However, easily drifted by wind.

Happy with how my Hornet performed at 100 yards today. Took my first rabbit and woodpigeon at 120 yards. The headshot rabbit was, shall we say, humane!

Think I'm settled on a load using the 35gr V-Max. 12.5gr of Lil Gun; Winchester Brass, CCI BR4 primers and a COAL of 1.730 which, fortunately, just fits in the CZ mag.

The shot on the left was the aim point and three shots fell within the group on the right:
    See I told you it was worth sticking with them buddy, definitely Humane too! Have done a bit more field work with the 30 gr varmint grenades now and I'm impressed, still using 12.3gr of lil gun and will stoke this up a bit once I have time to do some load development maybe but having said that it is markedly quieter than the 12.9 gr and 35 gr v-max so may stick with it and they are still very, um, humane!

Plus dropped a sunbathing bunny at 167 with the varmint grenade yesterday, head shot off of sticks, can't grumble at that performance just need to see how they perform on charlie now.
    Thanks for looking

PS Rifle looks cracking
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Ranyhyn View Post
    I'd be interested to hear how you get on. The Speers I've been using are hollow points. The best I've managed is 1" groups @ 100yds.
    With the 35g V's I can get sub 1/2", I suspect they are more accurate than I am. However, easily drifted by wind.
    I'll be sure to let you know
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    See I told you it was worth sticking with them buddy, definitely Humane too! Have done a bit more field work with the 30 gr varmint grenades now and I'm impressed, still using 12.3gr of lil gun and will stoke this up a bit once I have time to do some load development maybe but having said that it is markedly quieter than the 12.9 gr and 35 gr v-max so may stick with it and they are still very, um, humane!

Plus dropped a sunbathing bunny at 167 with the varmint grenade yesterday, head shot off of sticks, can't grumble at that performance just need to see how they perform on charlie now.
    Sounds great, must try the Varmint Grenades. I'm pretty happy with the 35 gr V-max so far. I'll give the 40 & 45 gr Nosler's a try next and see how I get on.

If you have a look at Jonny's to channel, Point Of Impact TV you'll see the shots from yesterday's session with the Hornet and 22LR.

PS Rifle looks cracking
    Yeah, she's a beaut. Only problem is the cheekpiece is made for open sights so it's a bit too low. Can't bring myself to get it cut into and make it adjustable so I need some sort of cheek riser

Yeah, she's a beaut. Only problem is the cheekpiece is made for open sights so it's a bit too low. Can't bring myself to get it cut into and make it adjustable so I need some sort of cheek riser
    You can get a neoprene one with various inserts, it looks the same as mine to be fair and I found it odd at first but soon got used to it, probably as I'm out with it once or twice a week!
    Thanks for looking

i have an OLD and its OLD ,a BSA cf in 22H i tryed a few factory rounds and found sellor and belliot 45g a good round ,so use the balistics for these rounds for mine ,use sierra heads 45g the domed ones ,2400 , wini primers and what case falls to hand ,never gona be a target rifle but dose the job ,had a crow at 175 yards/strides so happy with mine !
    Tempest .22, BSA Lightning(delux) .22 ,HW 80 K .22 Sako finn fire .22rf, Browning Buckmark 22rf , BSA 22 Hornet centre fire ,Winchester s/a mod 1400 12 bore, Winchester select light 12 bore J Manton hammer side bee side 12 bore and a 410 hushpower, BASC MEMBER

Told you so
    I've only taken down 3 foxes with them all sub 100yds, but all dropped stone dead on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

Told you so
    I've only taken down 3 foxes with them all sub 100yds, but all dropped stone dead on the spot.
    Indeed! I'm going to push them a bit faster as i can fit your pet load into standard (not K) rem brass, I want it as flat as can be for NV use.

Have you noticed you get a puff of white 'smoke' on impact which I can only assume is the compressed dust exploding from the jacket?
    Thanks for looking

No I can't say I have, not just water or dust being thrown up by the "expansion" shockwave is it ?

they don't so much expand as shatter/explode.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    No I can't say I have, not just water or dust being thrown up by the "expansion" shockwave is it ?

they don't so much expand as shatter/explode.
    No, don't think so, don't see it from any other bullet in the hornet.
    Thanks for looking

if they get anymore "humane" the bunnies won't stay under the windscreen wipers!
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    if they get anymore "humane" the bunnies won't stay under the windscreen wipers!
    Thanks for looking