Thread: WW Greener .22 Airrifle serial 844

WW Greener .22 Airrifle serial 844

I have a .22 WW Greener Airrifle what it says across the top is WW Greener and Son Birmingham, I would like to know how old it is and what it is worth if anyone could help.

Hi I got the information wrong on my gun I got confused with a sales leaflet I got from WW Greener, what it says on the Gun is WW GREENER MAKER BIRMINGHAM and the serial number is 844.

I am thinking of selling this gun if anyone is interested
    Last edited by S.tipping; 05-07-2016 at 09:32 AM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by S.tipping View Post
    I have a .22 WW Greener Airrifle what it says across the top is WW Greener and Son Birmingham, I would like to know how old it is and what it is worth if anyone could help.
    Hi if you can put some photos up, it would help to give us an idear about condition and what model of Greener it is.

camback

never seen a greener camback with that inscribed.
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by shabee View Post
    never seen a greener camback with that inscribed.
    eric

There are essentially 4 cylinder inscriptions for the cam-back Greener - as follows: (There is a fifth which is found on a tiny number of very early rifles, and these bear the 'St.Mary's Row' address.)

W.W.GREENER LONDON & BIRMINGHAM (Nos 274 287 300)

The Greener Air Rifle
    W.W.Greener Ltd London & Birmingham
    Patent Applied For (Nos 213 234 235 349)

The Greener Air Rifle
    Patent No 411520 (No 389 known)

W.W.GREENER MAKER BIRMINGHAM (Nos 291 337 578 592 600 665 796 798 841 863 are known)

Greeners with the 3rd inscription are by far the hardest to find.
    Hope this clarifies a few things?

Just for the record I have never seen/heard of/or had it rumoured of a Greener with a number beginning with 9 - anyone got one?

serial no

highest known to me 869
    eric

Camback

Hi guys I got it wrong I was thinking of a sales leaflet I got emailed from WW greener when I enquired with them about the gun. What it says along the top of the gun is WW REENERGISE MAKER BIRMINGHAM and the serial number is 844

Not sure how to post pictures but if anyone wants a picture let me have your email address.

Last edited by T 20; 05-07-2016 at 07:19 PM.

I have a .177, serial No 389 with:-

The Greener Air Rifle
    Patent No 411520.

probably telling Granny how to suck eggs, best to not close the breech cam tight when not in use, this will extend the life of the seal (same on the Webley Service)
    Last edited by Binners; 19-07-2016 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Wrong Ser No. Glasses now in place.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I have a .177, serial No 889 with:-

The Greener Air Rifle
    Patent No 411520.

probably telling Granny how to suck eggs, best to not close the breech cam tight when not in use, this will extend the life of the seal (same on the Webley Service)
    That is good advice

late greener

Quote Originally Posted by S.tipping View Post

Hi I got the information wrong on my gun I got confused with a sales leaflet I got from WW Greener, what it says on the Gun is WW GREENER MAKER BIRMINGHAM and the serial number is 844.

I am thinking of selling this gun if anyone is interested
    As has been said, numbers known currently go up into the late 800s so from what you say it appears that you have a late greener camback. John Atkins has previously been credited as having called it the camback for reasons which are surely obvious. As with any vintage airgun condition is everything and you have not said anything regarding condition so value would be purely speculative, but if it has most of its ORIGINAL finish with no rust and everything else is right about the gun, you could be looking at £500 - £750. In my opinion regardless of what may have been said elsewhere the .22 cal is less frequently encountered than the .177 cal model.
    If there is anything wrong (a greener collector would know) the value would be less and if condition was anything but that which ive mentioned the value could be considerably less only photos will give a good idea of condition, prices mentioned are for a really good example. They have been advertised in the region of £1100 - £1400 at a dealers but after a couple of years the same guns went to auction and sold for roughly what ive mentioned, if you had one which was really original and pristine verging on mint/unused you may get near four figures from a keen collector, only good clear close up pictures showing every detail will get a firm value.
    Although i dont own one i know to the whereabouts of a dozen or more and one collector near to me has several, all different in some way.
    rgds
    eric