Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airsporter mk 2

Airsporter mk 2

Hello all ,
    I have a BSA airsporter mk 2 serial GD6305 .22 1959 to 1965.The loading tap pops up when cocked.
    Its in full working order , 10.66ftlbs .Fair cosmetic condition with a nice patina and with a little renovation could be superb .Down points are a small gouge on cylinder and no rear sight.
    very well made , superb build quality, operation very tight all round , no sloppyness.
    Any idea of value ?
    Thank you, Jerry
    Last edited by greenman; 05-07-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Without a picture it's very hard to suggest a price accurately,but going by your description I would say about 65 pounds.You haven't described the condition of the stock,though.

ATB.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Without a picture it's very hard to suggest a price accurately,but going by your description I would say about 65 pounds.You haven't described the condition of the stock,though.

ATB.
    Good ! Couple of dinks ...quite dark with a nice broad grain .Looks like mahogany,very attractive. looking inside seems to be in two parts but externally you just can't tell .They are built like tanks aren't they.very over engineered.

air s

Can you tell me where abouts you are

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post

ATB.
    Given the missing rearsight and non-standard spring, I'd say £65 is about right.

Stocks were either one piece or three piece. When you say 'two' piece, it suggests a repair. If the stock is definitely not cracked and not repaired, then you might get more for it from someone who wants it for the stock alone; £80 ~ £100 would not be beyond the realms of possibility.

11ft-lbs is pretty powerful for a Mk2.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Given the missing rearsight and non-standard spring, I'd say £65 is about right.

Stocks were either one piece or three piece. When you say 'two' piece, it suggests a repair. If the stock is definitely not cracked and not repaired, then you might get more for it from someone who wants it for the stock alone; £80 ~ £100 would not be beyond the realms of possibility.

11ft-lbs is pretty powerful for a Mk2.
    Its a Mk2, has to be worth more than £65, even with a non original spring and missing rear sight?
    Stock should be walnut. (stocks alone sell for that if not split or damaged)
    Spring will give it more power but will spoil the smoothness, accuracy and 'shootability' of the rifle making it harsh with added 'recoil', original round wire springs always best for overall performance around 9.5 - 10.5 ft/lbs max really.
    As said - pictures will help with a valuation, these rifles are advertised anywhere from £50 - £300+ depending on condition!

atb

ASM
    Brexit voter and proud British citizen (once more)
    The E.U. is built on pure Poopenshtinken!
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

I agree with Airsporterman on value of stock if ok. I wouldnt pay more than £75 to £85 for a gun needing parts and only if the stock was good. Then again I would pay that for a good stock if I needed another. A nice tidy complete good condition gun should demand £120, and upwards for better condition. Minty £200 upwards.

As much as I love the MK 1, I think a late Mk2 with proper scope grooves are nicer to use and more practical.
    BASC

Can I ask where the number can be found on an early Airsporter? I have (I think) an early one without scope rails....maybe the number has been painted over?

Had a closer look and yes it's three peice ,not repaired and is completely origional. ...just missing rear sight which are 35 pounds .Stock is walnut .very smooth running at 10.66ftlbs .
    http://s653.photobucket.com/user/gre...tml?sort=3&o=2
    Last edited by greenman; 05-07-2016 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Can I ask where the number can be found on an early Airsporter? I have (I think) an early one without scope rails....maybe the number has been painted over?
    You should find it just in front of the trigger guard on the extension piece where the cocking lever pivots.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Its a Mk2, has to be worth more than £65, even with a non original spring and missing rear sight?
    Stock should be walnut. (stocks alone sell for that if not split or damaged)
    Spring will give it more power but will spoil the smoothness, accuracy and 'shootability' of the rifle making it harsh with added 'recoil', original round wire springs always best for overall performance around 9.5 - 10.5 ft/lbs max really.
    As said - pictures will help with a valuation, these rifles are advertised anywhere from £50 - £300+ depending on condition!

atb

ASM

As I said, there is probably more value in it if the stock is undamaged - someone will buy it for the stock alone - £80 to £100 is what I have seen them go for.

It is the absence of the rearsight that I think adversely affects the value of the described gun more than anything else. I note that both Chambers and Knibbs show it as out of stock and replacing it with anything other than original is not going to add value.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Thank you for your advice chaps...I have considered the fact that it's mechanically sound ..and accurate even ,oh and I think a nice origional stock .Anyway I've put it for sale at one three five .
    Is this about correct ? ,opinions please .

Quote Originally Posted by greenman View Post
    Had a closer look and yes it's three peice ,not repaired and is completely origional. ...just missing rear sight which are 35 pounds .Stock is walnut .very smooth running at 10.66ftlbs .
    http://s653.photobucket.com/user/gre...tml?sort=3&o=2
    The difficulty is obtaining the rearsight. Knibbs advertise them at £35, but don't have any.

Have you inspected the stock closely at the top where it abuts the trigger assembly? That's where they crack and it is often very difficult to spot.

Assuming it really is undamaged then I stand by my valuation of £80 ~ £100 in order to obtain the stock. Without the rearsight, the value drops considerably, for me.

Just my own opinion of course and that of the other folk in this section is equally, if not more, valid.

As I have said many times previously, anything is actually worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    The difficulty is obtaining the rearsight. Knibbs advertise them at £35, but don't have any.

Have you inspected the stock closely at the top where it abuts the trigger assembly? That's where they crack and it is often very difficult to spot.

Assuming it really is undamaged then I stand by my valuation of £80 ~ £100 in order to obtain the stock. Without the rearsight, the value drops considerably, for me.

Just my own opinion of course and that of the other folk in this section is equally, if not more, valid.

As I have said many times previously, anything is actually worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.
    Stocks intact and I think quite attractive .Everything is fundementaly sound ,it's a matter of cosmetics and I think with a little sympathetic effort it could be a nice thing .And only increase in value.
    I can see why people like these so much .Also impressed with the build quality of the mk 1,s and mk 2,s..it holds air against the tap when cocked ,impressive!..nice to shoot too,no twang which surprised me and quite smooth.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Looks like the finish is poor and needs a re-blue, so a 'collector' wanting an original gun will not be interested.
    A reblue will cost - therefore, the price of the rifle will have to account for that! It will therefore put a lot of people off!
    The stock looks quite decent but the photo's cannot really give an accurate reflection on condition, if it's intact/no splits - it's worth buying for the stock alone!
    Quality of stocks can vary greatly on the early Airsporters from my experience. (I have 3 Mk 1s and 1 Mk2 - all the stocks are different quality)
    The stocks on these also tends to fail at the front of the fore end - where the groove for the self cocking tap is, if the rifle falls over - it's a weakness and a common area for splitting, however it can be easy to fix with Pva glue.
    I would punt it at £130 or so and see where you go from there, you could always consider less if you get an offer.
    They are good honest rifles and probably a lot better quality than later Marks, having the walnut as opposed to beech stocks.
    I am not an expert, so any of the lads comments are as good if not better than mine - Paul - Airsporter 1st probably knows more about values etc than me! He is also right about something being worth what someone is willing to pay - and what someone is willing to sell for!
    I have a rearsight for one of these (folding type) but I wouldn't sell it, I think I got it for about £20, they do come up on the bay but sometimes go for silly prices as do most parts for the early Airsporters, but they do come up from time to time.
    Why not keep it and enjoy it? they are nice old things to own/shoot and are a bit of history!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.