Thread: BSA Military Pattern serial numbers?

BSA Military Pattern serial numbers?

We have seen how various manufacturers started their serial number sequences at far above no.1, maybe to give the appearance of a bigger production run for marketing purposes?

So the Walther LP53 started at 1040, the Feinwerkbau model 150 started at 0520, the FWB65 at 1040...

OK, so these are all postwar German airguns and there is no evidence of the practice being used before the war, or in England (or is there?).

My question is: could the BSA Milpats have started higher than no.1, perhaps at 100 or so? Has anyone seen one with a lower number?

The reason I ask is that looking at the serial numbers here, there isn't one below 100.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    We have seen how various manufacturers started their serial number sequences at far above no.1, maybe to give the appearance of a bigger production run for marketing purposes?

So the Walther LP53 started at 1040, the Feinwerkbau model 150 started at 0520, the FWB65 at 1040...

OK, so these are all postwar German airguns and there is no evidence of the practice being used before the war, or in England (or is there?).

My question is: could the BSA Milpats have started higher than no.1, perhaps at 100 or so? Has anyone seen one with a lower number?

The reason I ask is that looking at the serial numbers here, there isn't one below 100.
    Hi Danny,

A good question. As far as any British manufacturers using this practice is concerned, I know the pre-war Westley Richards Highest Possible 'Concentic' Ser Nos started at 1000 with only a 100 or so ever actually being produced.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Danny,

A good question. As far as any British manufacturers using this practice is concerned, I know the pre-war Westley Richards Highest Possible 'Concentic' Ser Nos started at 1000 with only a 100 or so ever actually being produced.

Regards

Brian
    Very interesting, Brian, thanks for that. So maybe BSA employed this 'trick' too, although they seem to have started the post-WW1 BSAs below 100.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hi Garvin,

I have handled and photographed Mil Pat SN 10. Sadly it was refinished but I can't see a third digit either in front or after the 10.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Garvin,

I have handled and photographed Mil Pat SN 10. Sadly it was refinished but I can't see a third digit either in front or after the 10.

Kind regards,

John
    OK John, thanks. That would seem to blow the theory out of the water then.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Danny,

Regards

Brian
    Like wise with my BSA.RB 2 STUZTZEN..25. i have ser. no 1001.ser nos.started at 1000. so i have no 2 off the production
    line.

I have seen or know of the following BSA M/P with a number less than 100 - 10 28 36 37 40 41 (See Air rifles by hiller) 69 76 highest seen NO.426

Here is another more interesting question - has anyone seen/know of a pre war STRAIGHT-GRIP WEBLEY SENIOR with a serial number of LESS than No.500?

I believe these pistols started at either S500 or S501 ??

I have number 36 and 134 so am pretty sure they started at 1 think binnersnmay know more though, you know what a data hound he is!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    I have number 36 and 134 so am pretty sure they started at 1 think binnersnmay know more though, you know what a data hound he is!!!!
    Assuming you mean Milpats, not straight-grip Seniors Guy, could I have pics of these rifles for the gallery, please?

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    I have seen or know of the following BSA M/P with a number less than 100 - 10 28 36 37 40 41 (See Air rifles by hiller) 69 76 highest seen NO.426

Here is another more interesting question - has anyone seen/know of a pre war STRAIGHT-GRIP WEBLEY SENIOR with a serial number of LESS than No.500?

I believe these pistols started at either S500 or S501 ??
    Thanks for this, Chris. I've also since heard from another expert who has recorded no fewer than 14 Milpats under serial number 100, each in .177 cal, including all of the above! So no doubt at all that they began at least at serial number 10, and probably no.1. Interesting that the straight-grip Seniors may have begun at no.500 or so. I wonder why?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

I am lead to believe than serial No 10 was only sold because the then owner acquired No 7