Thread: Advice

Advice

I have a Steyr 91 match co2 rifle and the co2 cylinder is only allowing a small amount if any co2 out. I have pushed in the centre pin and I can hear a gentle and irregular flow of co2 when it should be a powerful whoosh/hiss. I assume there is a valve that needs attention in the cylinder and wondered if this is an easy diy job, if so any ideas on how to tackle it? Thanks for any input.

Yes you can, if you have some skill and the correct tools. Firstly you need to be able to grip the cylinder so that it does not move, do not hold it in a vice as this will not work, you need a suitable sized cylinder clamp.

The valve needs a correct size allen wrench pushed down onto the valve pin into the socket. if you look into the top of the valve you can see that it is machined for a allen wrench.( 10mm from memory ) It will undo anti clockwise without the need for heat. You can then remove the valve unit and will be able to see the seal. There is only 1 to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Yes you can, if you have some skill and the correct tools. Firstly you need to be able to grip the cylinder so that it does not move, do not hold it in a vice as this will not work, you need a suitable sized cylinder clamp.

The valve needs a correct size allen wrench pushed down onto the valve pin into the socket. if you look into the top of the valve you can see that it is machined for a allen wrench.( 10mm from memory ) It will undo anti clockwise without the need for heat. You can then remove the valve unit and will be able to see the seal. There is only 1 to replace.

Have you tried doing a Walther CO2 cylinder Mark ?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

Thanks for your advice. I put some pellet lube around the centre pin and pushed it in and out, I left the cylinder overnight and refilled today. Whether it is fixed for the longer term time will tell, but the cylinder now seems ok. I will post some pictures if it plays up again. The cylinder will need a special 3 pin wrench to undo I think. Maybe the valve was just sticking, touch wood.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Have you tried doing a Walther CO2 cylinder Mark ?
    Not yet, but I have a couple in Germany that are of unknown condition, once the exchange rate gets over 1.25 I will get them back and find out

At least walther cilinders have a habit of dying on you when you try to service them. The 30 yrs of co2 has made the brass brittle. Dunno what the steyrs is made of, but if its brass too than be prepared to need a new 1 when you fiddle with it
    ATB,
    yana