Thread: Hand Crowning Tool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This is the first time I have seen an angle specified ... 11 degrees?
    In the absence of a specific cutting tool could you use an 11 degree taper and valve grinding paste/polish ... asked in ignorance as I have no experience of this operation. I remember someone recommending a brass dome head screw for doing the same job?
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I remember someone recommending a brass dome head screw for doing the same job?
    Cheers, Phil
    I tried a brass screw Phil, but didn't get very good results.

I now use a 12mm ball bearing wrapped in 360 grit paper if hand crowning --- sticky backed DA paper works best.

Or if I have the barrel in the lathe I use the spherical end of a Mini engine pushrod wrapped in 360 grit paper mounted in the toolpost chuck.

After the 360 grit I use 1200 grit then polish.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I tried a brass screw Phil, but didn't get very good results.

I now use a 12mm ball bearing wrapped in 360 grit paper if hand crowning --- sticky backed DA paper works best.

Or if I have the barrel in the lathe I use the spherical end of a Mini engine pushrod wrapped in 360 grit paper mounted in the toolpost chuck.

After the 360 grit I use 1200 grit then polish.

All the best Mick
    Uhh, you'll have to excuse me if I'm being a complete dipshit but if you've got it mounted in the lathe why are you not using the cutting tool to do the recrown ?

Not intended as a dig just a little confoosed !...

Ps, I do it by hand the same way as you, recrown that is, Ooohh errr !...

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Uhh, you'll have to excuse me if I'm being a complete dipshit but if you've got it mounted in the lathe why are you not using the cutting tool to do the recrown ?

Not intended as a dig just a little confoosed !...

Ps, I do it by hand the same way as you, recrown that is, Ooohh errr !...
    Any machining of the muzzle with a cutting tool can produce small burrs on the lands of the rifling which need removing to finish the crown.

So essentially I still have to use the ball bearing method to remove the burrs to end up with a decent crown.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Any machining of the muzzle with a cutting tool can produce small burrs on the lands of the rifling which need removing to finish the crown.

So essentially I still have to use the ball bearing method to remove the burrs to end up with a decent crown.

All the best Mick
    Hand finishing !...

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Hand finishing !...
    Minimal --- most of the finishing is done in the lathe.

ATB Mick

What about using the 'ball end' part of the adjuster from something like

http://www./itm/Faithfull-3-75mm-Spr...UHeDL5nb-juCsw

with some lapping paste.

Just tried it on my .22 using my trusty Moore and Wright compass, and it looks like it's a perfect size to remove micro burrs.

Andy

How is it done in the factories,i had a HW35 a while back, someone had sawn off the end of the barrel very badly, i wish i had a photo, it was cut at an angle id say about 3 degrees off square and covered in saw marks, turned out it was very accurate, i didnt take it to a range or bench rest or what ever, i just used it, i could hit the end of a box of matches from 35yds easily. What do you think of that, it was accurate with what ever pellets i had to hand as well, if i had taken it to the range and tested its accuracy in a more controlled enviroment against paper targets its faults would have shown up but from a standing position body movement makes them harder to see. But to sum up a barrel with a terrible muzzle was still accurate?