Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10m Air Pistol Scores

Thank you Donald. That PDF lays it out nicely, good photographs too. I've posted a new thread about this with your link to the PDF on the main Canadian airgun forum, airgunforum.ca - perhaps someone will take an interest in setting up an event some day.

No problem buddy. It does look fun. Some of the german target shooting stores sell grip attatchments to level particularly angled grips specifically for this discipline, that goes to show how popular its becoming.
    Donald

Seems odd I'd not have run across it in my various online researches around air pistol competition and training, but hey, it's a big world, can't know everything. For myself it seems the rules put it a couple of years off, as I'm only 54 and the first category of competitors begins at 56, but something to think about.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Thanks, lots of interesting replies. So anything upwards of 85 is 'good' or at least respectable. That is something to aim for, pardon the pun.
    Funnily enough this very question has been sitting in my mind for a bit. My overall average since I switched to a Steyr is 82. If I can eliminate flyers it would be much better,often 2/10 shots spoil what would for me be a good card.

It's not always the case, but quite often those fliers result from one caring too much about score. One of the most difficult aspects of training for many shooters has to do with mindset - most importantly shutting off one's concern for the outcome of a set of shots. By learning that 'there is no score, only the shot' by whatever mental tricks you can devise, every individual shot becomes a 'match' in its own right. Final outcomes fall away. If you can achieve this perspective, reducing each shot to elements of form and consistency with your shot plan, then the card score or match score will come as a surprise as should the score of each individual shot. The trigger should break almost as a random element within the flow of your movements. 'Grabbing' the shot when you think you're right on the 10 is almost certain to net you a 7 or worse. The trigger must be drawn back on a schedule, following on the smooth fall of the pistol into a nice sight picture on target, the slow release then soft holding of breath just as the sights align. If you work on these elements those fliers should gradually go away.

It really is a big mind game.. my problem at the moment is lifting my eyes from the front sight to the target as soon as the shot is released.. im starting to preempt shots. I didnt do this before. I think ive scored a few good cards and my confidence is making me hungry ti see the shot. I need a mantra!!!
    Donald

Watch some of the top shooters in AP on the ISSF Youtube channel. They look incredibly bored. Seems that's the key. At the end of the match, the winner often takes a few seconds to stop looking half-asleep, then light up with a smile. Can't recall if I've said it already, but I find the most attraction for me to 10m AP is the meditative aspect. More than any other meditative form I've tried (and failed at miserably), air pistol brings me to a thorough awareness of anything and everything going on inside my silly head. I must isolate all stresses, distractions, anything which is preventing my entire attention from focusing upon the front sight, and effectively deal with such things so that they no longer get in the way. Sometimes that means I just don't shoot, instead going back to work to get a difficult project finished or at least well on the way, before I can again approach pistol shooting. Sometimes it means going for a run or a bike ride to clear my head.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I need a mantra!!!
    Somebody on here has this in his sig' line: "Keep calm and shoot tens". I like that. It doesn't always work though.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    It's not always the case, but quite often those fliers result from one caring too much about score. One of the most difficult aspects of training for many shooters has to do with mindset - most importantly shutting off one's concern for the outcome of a set of shots. By learning that 'there is no score, only the shot' by whatever mental tricks you can devise, every individual shot becomes a 'match' in its own right. Final outcomes fall away. If you can achieve this perspective, reducing each shot to elements of form and consistency with your shot plan, then the card score or match score will come as a surprise as should the score of each individual shot. The trigger should break almost as a random element within the flow of your movements. 'Grabbing' the shot when you think you're right on the 10 is almost certain to net you a 7 or worse. The trigger must be drawn back on a schedule, following on the smooth fall of the pistol into a nice sight picture on target, the slow release then soft holding of breath just as the sights align. If you work on these elements those fliers should gradually go away.
    Easier said than done. It's certainly true that caring less gets better scores.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Remember a high score is not achieved with a high proportion of good shots, but by an absence of bad ones.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Remember a high score is not achieved with a high proportion of good shots, but by an absence of bad ones.
    That's definitely correct. Even reasonably good shots tot up to a respectable sum if there's nothing in the white.

Cant really give a good answer to that. Very personal.
    I never shot lower than 320 ex 400. Not even the first time.
    I could very well produce scores in the 360s ex 400 with my Tau 7 and Aeron Spider.
    Training circumstances, but in garage with no card transportation and bad light.

Many shooters encounter a limit at 340ish. Especially when they're unguided by a trainer.
    ATB,
    yana

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    I never shot lower than 320 ex 400. Not even the first time.
    I didn't really pick up proper pistol target shooting until my early 40's and my first cards looked like I'd used a shotgun (from a long way away )

Interesting to see the responses, been wondering where I sat with my scores, currently averaging 542ex600 which the guys in the club have been telling me is quite good, just not entirely sure I believed them, thought they were just being 'encouraging' as one of them shot for the Wales and the other for team GB :-/

Interesting thread, I've been trying to find out, averaging 542ex600 at the moment but couldn't work out if that was good or not. Be interested in getting some coaching, anyone know of anyone in the south wales area doing this at the moment?