Thread: sub £500 target pistol

sub £500 target pistol

I am looking for a new target pistol under £500 if possible. Any ideas on the Tau7, I've seen pictures but not seen one for real let alone shot with one.
    or should i just stick with my ageing FAS604?

Quote Originally Posted by david604 View Post
    I am looking for a new target pistol under £500 if possible. Any ideas on the Tau7, I've seen pictures but not seen one for real let alone shot with one.
    or should i just stick with my ageing FAS604?
    Tau at around £225 secondhand is a good buy. I have shot a fair few 50s with one and won some open competitions. Advantage is no charging gear needed. Sold mine as I nolonger compete.

Frog

There is a Walther LP300 in the Sales section at the moment for £495 + carr.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by silvershooter View Post
    There is a Walther LP300 in the Sales section at the moment for £495 + carr.
    Cheers, already offered it but buyer is holding out and saving for an LP2 (the amount of times I could have sold my LP2 after I sold it, lol) still love my 300xt more
    Last edited by nige346; 26-07-2016 at 04:17 PM.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Tau at around £225 secondhand is a good buy. I have shot a fair few 50s with one and won some open competitions. Advantage is no charging gear needed. Sold mine as I nolonger compete.

Frog
    I to give a vote for the Tau 7. I recently bought mine s/h and was surprised at its accuracy.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

In my opinion the FAS604 is a far better pistol than the Tau7 and unless you have trouble "cocking" it I wouldn't go for a 12g Co2 pistol which can run out in the middle of a competition causing low shots. I have shot both in the past.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

I have both a FWB p44 and a Baikal 46 and tbh i shoot the Baikal more....worth a look??

Tau 7s are great pistols. Unfortunately way overpriced in the uk.
    The factory sells them for around 300 euros NEW
    Shot easily 360s ex 400 with my Tau 7. Dont do better with pcp
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    In my opinion the FAS604 is a far better pistol than the Tau7 and unless you have trouble "cocking" it I wouldn't go for a 12g Co2 pistol which can run out in the middle of a competition causing low shots. I have shot both in the past.
    I just put 60 pellets into my pellet tray and can then tell at a glance how many shots I have left.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

My Tau 7 match does 120 shots in summer. Why should I run outa shots than??
    And if you dó you can hear and feel it. Simply replace the bulb.
    We woman do 40 shots anyway
    FAS probably SSP? Never liked the cocking on SSPs.
    Dunno wether the FAS is side or overlever? But I especially dislike side cockers. Especially pistols since you cant rest them on yr hips or so while cocking.
    ATB,
    yana

David604,

I really like my Baikal MP-46M SSP.

The MP-46M can be had for ca. 280 GBP from a certain 'Sportsman Gun' place.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Another vote for the MP 46M, very good pistol, great trigger when correctly set up and good power (much better fps than the FAS 604/6004). Some folk do not like the forward weight of the 46M but I like that as it helps stop the muzzle from shifting around. The 46M is a marmite gun, people either love or hate the looks, but I really like mine. However availability of spares might be an issue. The grip is huge and usually needs to be trimmed down a bit, but alternative grips make it much more comfortable like this one here. The 46M is very easy to cock due to the mechanical advantage provided by the lever mechanism.

The Tau 7 is a very nice pistol with a great trigger and of course provides the benefit of not having the disturbance of having to use muscle power to mechanically cock the action. Coming from the FAS 604 you might find the Tau less of a handful than the MP 46M.

Edit: There is an older version of the Baikal, the 46 (no M), which has a shorter compression chamber. It has a lower fps but I expect is lighter to hold. These can be picked up on the used market.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 31-07-2016 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Older 46 added.

Have you considered the Alfa Proj marketed under the Air Arms banner?

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    My Tau 7 match does 120 shots in summer. Why should I run outa shots than??
    And if you dó you can hear and feel it. Simply replace the bulb.
    We woman do 40 shots anyway
    FAS probably SSP? Never liked the cocking on SSPs.
    Dunno wether the FAS is side or overlever? But I especially dislike side cockers. Especially pistols since you cant rest them on yr hips or so while cocking
    The FAS is an over lever and is very easy to cock (easier than the HW40) and as a result it is a pleasure to use. However IMHO the ease of cocking comes at a cost as the two I tried were not particularly powerful (less than the HW40) and getting a clean hole at 10M can be problem; the seals need to be in tip top condition to get a modest fps. I have read threads that detail trials on the FAS to increase the fps a little bit by altering the transfer port and fixing a shim onto the end of the piston to provide a little more compression.

Like you I do not get on with side lever pistols, and even though the FWB 65 is a classic pistol, I find the cocking cycle is awkward.

Tau is way better than the Alfa Proj. The AP is too light up front and has pencil thin grip.
    Also trigger either has creep or the thing doesnt cock..
    Also less shots than Tau 7.
    Yeah I had 1 for a brief time..
    ATB,
    yana