Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ignition problem with a Ruger Old Army

terry is offline This is not the Terry you are looking for....

ruger old army

Quote Originally Posted by davefitz66 View Post
    Hi, I have read many posts on here from fellow ROA enthusiasts, so I am hoping that someone will have a remedy for this problem. I changed the nipples on mine for the shotgun primer type. I found them to be very good, ignition wise, in that they always went off, first time (to be honest, I can't remember having problems with the original ones, but, you know what it's like, constantly chopping and changing for no reason whatsoever). Now, I thought I put the original nipples back, when I found 6 stainless steel ones in a little parts bag, but I have accumulated a load of stuff over the years. The problem is, I can't get any kind of reliable shots off. I am using the same CCI caps I always used,I have tried both the 10s & the 11s with the same Triple7 load. It seems like the first strike puts the cap on properly and it will usually fire on the second time. The RWS caps with 1075 on the pot will normally go, mostly first time, so it's not the end of the world, but I do have a couple of tins of CCIs. I haven't changed anything else on the pistol - it is exactly the same as it was when I bought it brand new over 10 years ago. I do love shooting it, but I have been using my Rogers & Spencer in competition as advancing target doesn't give you enough time to take double the amount of shots. I am not sure where to go to get replacement originals, Henry Kranks don't seem to list them and all the others are in the States. Anyone else sourced a set from anywhere? I remember reading a post from someone who used to get them in batches, but that was a while back.
    Also, while we are talking ROAs, what loads of Triple 7 do you use? Ball or Lee cast bullet? Anyone got a super accurate 25yd recipe they are prepared to share?
    i cant help you , BUT my dads ruger old army bp .44 is up for sale at riflecraft in harleston , try them they may enlighten you ask for jen she will put you on to some one , dad ,rip, used round balls and conical , he made his own ,soon be sorting the gear out

Quote Originally Posted by davefitz66 View Post
    Also, while we are talking ROAs, what loads of Triple 7 do you use? Ball or Lee cast bullet? Anyone got a super accurate 25yd recipe they are prepared to share?
    Please start a new thread for ROA loading to allow noobs to get instant access to 'loading for the ROA', rather than the non-ignition issues that are the subject of this thread.

BTW, the nipples that I supply to folks here are EXACT stainless steel replications of the original hex-head ROA nipples, and work perfectly with ALL brands of caps. I have no experience of using any kind of replacement ignition system such as the one that you describe, preferring to shoot the real black or any of the subs.

tac

Question follow up

Reading thread and have had same problem with ROA. Did changing back to original nipples cure problem? Any info appreciated on how problem solved. Realise post was some months ago. Used this ROA several times but not successfully as very poor firing reliability. Last time nipples were removed and all checked / cleaned out, and it takes a while to get enthusiastic about trying it again.