Thread: Ignition problem with a Ruger Old Army

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mine's still on the original nipples (Although I do have a spare set from Tac) and I have endless problems with CCI primers. Unfortunately anything else seems hard to find. When I used Remington, it never missed a shot. You're right that it is to do with them not seating properly but even if I push them on, I usually get one or two misfires out of 6. Maybe I should try chamfering the nipples but, as I say, other primers are fine.

I use round ball - .457
    I use 777 exclusively and for me, target shooting at 20 - 25 yds, I find 15 - 18 grains fine. I've tried heavier loads and while the bang and flash may be impressive, I've not seen an increase in accuracy! I've tried inert filler and commercial wads but now use wads punched out of a Pilates mat! i.e. A fairly dense foam rubber. Not much to choose between any of them as far as I can see.

Do bear in mind that every single ROA shooter in the world will have completely different views on what is "best"

Steve

Check for wear on the hammer assembly, it might be catching the edge of the cap and not striking properly, or the hammer might be worn.

I had a percussion rifle that started to misfire now and again. I blamed it on the caps being damp.
    When I took a close look at the hammer there was a small amount of play on the shaft which allowed the hammer to move backwards when it struck and the inside edge of the hammer caught the edge of the cap.
    I ground a few thou. off the inside of the hammer and it worked fine after that.

I've not seen Tac on her for a while. I hope he has not gone to the big gun club in the sky!