Thread: Ignition problem with a Ruger Old Army

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Food for thought

Hi again,
    2 band, I am actually cutting the wads out of the yoga mat as they will better fill the space in the cylinder. As I say I will be doing some research on what works best for me when I resolve the issues. I was using the home cast bullets from the Lee mould, but I have gone back to using balls now, as the recoil using a bullet and the recommended 777 load was a tooth rattler. I also have two of the Uberti Cattleman revolvers, a 7 and a half inch and a 5 and a half inch one. They are good fun to shoot, but for accuracy I would always go to the Rogers and Spencer. But at Bisley this year the shooter next to me had a great result with his Ruger Old Army at the advancing target and I wondered why I wasn't making better use of A fine gun. Any and all advice greatly appreciated by the way.
    Cheers
    Dave.

A yoga mat?! A rubber and polyurethane yoga mat? Seriously.....?

Hi

Can you post pics when you start to fettle your nipples please ooh erh missus!

Have you tried caps on a empty cylinder to burn oil out and can you see the nipples are clear could be the problem not the caps

Non-dead tac here.

I have three sets of Butler Creek/Uncle Mikes stainless steel replacement ROA nipples, and two suitable wrenches.

PM me for details if you are interested.

Note that they ARE true replacements - hexagonal bolsters and all. I've been shooting mine for some ten years nw with no problems of any kind - CCI #11 caps, BTW.

Here is a handy tint and hip, as I suspect that there are folks here who are trying to bolt down the nipples as though they are meant to hold down an airship in a hurricane.

1. After cleaning them, just touch their threads to the edge of pot of Copperslip, or whatever you have over here like it.

2. Turn the nipple into the threads and just hold the cylinder with a 'shaking hands with your bank manager' grip.

3. When the cylinder starts to rotate - stop.

4. That's enough torquing.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    Have you tried caps on a empty cylinder to burn oil out and can you see the nipples are clear could be the problem not the caps
    That is what you do before you ever start loading for a shooting session.

tac