Thread: Chairgun mildot calibration wrong?

mroek Guest

Chairgun mildot calibration wrong?

I've been experimenting with the scope calibration in Chairgun, but there's no way I can get it to work properly.

Through my scope (Bushnell Legend 5-15x40) a 1.5 cm target spans exactly 1 mildot at 15 m with the magnification set to 15x. This is to be expected according to other posts on this BBS, and it means that the scope is "true" mildot at 15x. Armed with this knowledge I open up the scope calibration box in Chairgun, and enter these values. Chairgun then tells me that this equates to 2.292 MOA/Inc. What! It should read 3.438, not 2.292. If I change the magnification to 10x, then it reads 3.438.

I realize that 10x is regarded as the "true" magnification for mildots, but I fail to comprehend why Chairgun even cares about the magnification in the calibration dialog. It will clearly screw up the numbers. My scope IS definately "true" mildot (in the sense that one mildot is 3.438 MOA) at 15x, and I want Chairgun to use this value.

I might be missing something obvious here, please educate me... :-)

Regards
    -Øyvind

figjam Guest
    why dont you just get out in the field and do it for your self!

i can say honestly that i gave up in technology a long time ago when it came to shooting!

just get out there and stop being a chairgunner!
    i think i've proved myself enough to back this allegation up!

if you need any help or a hand in completing your task 'manually' then dont hesitate to give me a shout!

rgds

kenny

mroek Guest
    I happen to like computer tools. I find that they complement real life, and can be an asset.

Of course I can (and will) go out and shoot to do tests, but I was asking why Chairgun behaves like this, as I believe it is dead wrong.

Regards
    -Øyvind

Acerbus Guest
    Hello Øyvind

first I think Kenny is complete right you'll learn much more by practice.

Chairgun is a interesting tool for the long and dark winter in summer imo its better to enjoy the rifle.

To your prob. first enter the mag. of your scope (15x ) in the main-mask.
    Then open the scope-calibration. Dot-settings > increment 1,5 cm > enter > range 15 m > enter > use this- button. Than it should work.

Jochen

A long way from Edinburgh to Haugesund for a helping hand

PS Øyvind you're right mil-space in MOA is wrong I've never looked at but the POI on the reticule compares exact to what I've tested meter by meter.
    Last edited by Acerbus; 11-08-2005 at 08:32 PM. Reason: still learning

Best thing you can do is e-mail David Eades the Chairgun creator with your query. The predicted mil-dot values in Chairgun v2 I've found to be much more accurate than previous versions. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

mroek Guest
    Well, if anyone wants to come to Haugesund and visit, please do. You'll be welcome! :-)

I'll drop David an email, but I thought he might have jumped into this thread too, as he is registered with activity on this board today, but he hasn't.

Regards
    -Øyvind

mroek Guest
    Well, I've now verified (David hasn't concurred yet) that Chairgun mildot calibration is wrong, and also how to work around the problem.

First of all, if you calibrate the scope at 10x magnification, Chairgun will be correct. I suspect most people do calibrate at 10x, and therefore the problem hasn't surfaced before.

The other way to get around the problem (which is needed to calibrate at any other mag than 10x), is to calculate the "DotSep"-value manually, and then enter this value in the Chairgun settings file with a regular text editor (like Notepad). If anyone wants it, I can elaborate on the details, but I suspect that David will fix the built-in calibration in Chairgun, and in the meantime, just calibrate at 10x and you'll be fine.

Regards
    -Øyvind

Quote Originally Posted by figjam
    why dont you just get out in the field and do it for your self!

i can say honestly that i gave up in technology a long time ago when it came to shooting!

just get out there and stop being a chairgunner!
    i think i've proved myself enough to back this allegation up!

if you need any help or a hand in completing your task 'manually' then dont hesitate to give me a shout!

rgds

kenny
    you can have all the technology in the world but at the end of the day its down to you......just shoot the things

mroek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965
    you can have all the technology in the world but at the end of the day its down to you......just shoot the things
    Yes of course, but Chairgun is a tool, just like any other tool. You obviously wouldn't want to buy 10 mm spanners that actually measured 10.4 mm, since all you'd end up with would be round-head bolts...

Come to think of it, you probably wouldn't want metric spanners at all...

Regards
    -Øyvind